The UFC has added another Pettis as the promotion has signed Sergio, the younger brother of UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis. Having mostly competed at flyweight, the younger Pettis will move up to bantamweight to take on Vaughn Lee at UFC 167. UFC officials recently confirmed the bout after Globo first reported the pairing.
Sergio Pettis comes to the UFC after a 9-0 run that saw him capture the Resurrection Fighting Alliance’s inaugural flyweight title and, most recently, the North American Fighting Championship’s bantamweight crown. The 20-year-old Pettis possesses the same explosive striking and dangerous ground game of his brother, just in a smaller package. The younger Pettis will take on Vaughn Lee in his UFC debut. Lee is in a must-win position after falling to 1-2 in the UFC after losing to Raphael Assuñçao at UFC on FUEL TV 10.
The UFC also recently confirmed a bantamweight pairing between Erik Perez and Edwin Figueroa for the November fight card.
UFC 167 will be headlined by a UFC welterweight title fight between champion Georges St-Pierre and Johnny Hendricks. The billing will mark the 20th anniversary of UFC 1, which took place November 12 at the since demolished McNichols Sports Arena in Denver, Colorado. The UFC 167 lineup is expected to be finalized soon for the UFC’s 2o-year anniversary card.
UFC 167 Fight Card:
- UFC Welterweight Title Fight: Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Johny Hendricks
- Chael Sonnen vs. Rashad Evans
- Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald
- Josh Koscheck vs. Tyron Woodley
- Frank Mir vs. Alistair Overeem
- Donald Cerrone vs. Evan Dunham
- Tim Elliot vs. Ali Bagautinov
- Rafael Natal vs. Ed Herman
- Sergio Pettis vs. Vaughn Lee
- Erik Perez vs. Edwin Figueroa