Bellator MMA returned to action last night with Bellator 99 taking place at the Pechanga Resort and Casino in Temecula, California. In the night’s main event, Patricio “Pitbull” Freire devastated UFC-veteran Diego Nunes with an explosive first round knockout that propelled into the second round of the featherweight tournament.
In other tournament action, Fabricio Guerreiro and Joe Taimanglo advanced with solid decision victories while Justin Wilcox pulled off one of the comebacks of the year to defeat talented Russian Akop Stepanyan via submission.
Elsewhere on tonight’s main card, UFC vet Vladimir Matyushenko cruised to a relatively uneventful victory over a mostly listless Houston Alexander.
Bellator 99 Main Card Results:
- Featherweight Quarterfinal Fight: Patricio “Pitbull” Freire def. Diego Nunes via knockout (punches) at 1:19 of Round 1
- Featherweight Quarterfinal Fight: Fabricio Guerreiro def. Desmond Green via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Vladimir Matyushenko def. Houston Alexander via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Featherweight Quarterfinal Fight: Justin Wilcox def. Akop Stepanyan via technical submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:20 of Round 2
- Featherweight Quarterfinal Fight: Joe Taimanglo def. Andrew Fisher via unanimous decision (29-28,30-27,30-27)