Although there was talk and speculation recently that Nick Diaz could be headed back to the Octagon, and there were initial and incorrect reports he had been offered a fight, several weeks have gone by with no news on the Diaz front. Unless you’ve just started following MMA, you know that Diaz announced he was probably done with fighting, after he lost by unanimous decision to welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre in March. The defeat was the highly regarded fighter’s second in a row, as Diaz fell by UD to Carlos Condit approximately one year earlier at UFC 143 (when he also said he was done with MMA).
While Diaz is somewhat of a polarizing fighter, it’s hard to argue that things aren’t more interesting in the world of MMA when he’s booked for a fight. As a result, Dana White was asked about Diaz and his future during a FOX Sports Google Hangout Thursday. Here’s what the UFC President had to say about the outspoken and accomplished vet (comments via MMA Fighting.com):
“Nick’s obviously still on the roster,” White said about Diaz, who prior to facing GSP and Condit, scored a UD win over BJ Penn in October, 2011. “He’s still an active fighter here in the UFC, but as far as I know, he’s just not interested in fighting right now.”
“When Nick finally fought Georges St-Pierre, Nick Diaz made some money. So Nick Diaz has some kickback money,” White said. “He can probably take as long as he wants to fight again. I would assume that’s why (he’s not fighting).
“You’re fighting to make a living, you’re fighting to pay your bills, you’re fighting to get things that you want out of life. And with the money that Nick Diaz made in his last fight, I’m sure he’s got everything he wants right now.”
So, there you have it. It sounds like Diaz might be back, but it will still be a while. The question is, what kind of opportunity or circumstances will it take to prompt him to fight again?
Stay tuned to MMA Frenzy.com for more on this story and all your UFC news.