A hand injury to former Bellator light heavyweight champion Christian M’Pumbu has forced a change to the Bellator 99 lineup. UFC veteran Houston Alexander will be stepping up to face off with Vladimir Matyushenko in the night’s co-main event. Bellator officials announced the switch on Sunday.
The promotion also released the undercard for the September event which contained an interesting name in Blagoi Ivanov. The Bulgarian fighter was nearly stabbed to death in a night club incident in Sofia, Bulgaria, having to be put on a respirator and placed in a medically induced coma before being brought back from the brink. The bout will Ivanov’s first since surviving the attack.
The card will feature two intriguing opening round featherweight tournament match-ups, as Diego Nunes will take on Patricio Freire in the main event. In the second pairing, Dagestani fighter Shahbulat Shamhalaev will look to start another run at the title by taking on Russo-Armenian striking savant Akop Stepanyan.
Bellator 99 will take place at the Pechanga Resort and Casino, with tickets starting at $50. The undercard will begin at 7PM ET, with the Spike TV main card beginning at 9PM ET.
Bellator 99 Fight Card:
Main Card (SpikeTV)
- Featherweight Quarterfinal Fight: Patricio “Pitbull” Freire vs. Diego Nunes
- Vladimir ‘The Janitor’ Matyushenko vs. Houston Alexander
- Featherweight Quarterfinal Fight: Shahbulat Shamhalaev vs. Akop Stepanyan
- Featherweight Quarterfinal Fight: Joe Taimanglo vs. Andrew Fisher
- Featherweight Quarterfinal Fight: Desmond Green vs. Fabricio Guerreiro
Preliminary Card (Spike.com)
- Savio Kosic vs. Hector Ramirez
- Derek Loffer vs. Mario Navarro
- Andy Murad vs. Gavin Sterritt
- Musa Toliver vs. Goiti Yamauchi
- Manny Lara vs. Blagoi Ivanov
- Nick Moghaddam vs. Virgil Zwicker