twitter google

Evans Answers White Regarding Belfort

Kelsey Mowatt

Vitor Belfort

It sounded like a long shot as soon it was reported, and as most people likely expected, Rashad Evans isn’t willing to throw down with Blackzilians teammate Vitor Belfort. A frustrated Dana White relayed earlier in the week that he was targeting the bout, in response to Belfort’s insistence that his next middleweight fight will be against the winner of Weidman-Silva II.

Evans was asked by Thursday if he was interested in fighting Belfort, and the former light-heavyweight champ had this to say:

“I won’t fight Vitor,” said Evans, who is coming off a split decision win over Dan Henderson in June. ¬†“I won’t fight¬†Thiago Silva. I won’t fight Cezar “Mutante” Ferreira. I won’t fight anybody who I train with!

“I made that mistake before, and I won’t do that again. I lost a lot of relationships because I did that before.”

White proposed the bout after Belfort turned down a fight with Tim Kennedy. The feared striker also let it be known this week that he’s interested in fighting Chael Sonnen; however, the former middleweight contender is set to fight “Shogun” Rua on August 17th. In addition, “The American Gangster” said he’ll only battle Belfort if it’s for the right to a title shot, and as we’ve seen, Belfort isn’t willing to risk his championship fight.

Really, at this point, one has to wonder if Belfort wont remain on the sidelines until he can face the winner of Weidman-Silva II. That’s a risky gamble to take. What if the UFC decides to go with Weidman-Silva III? Depending, of course, on how their UFC 168 fight shakes out?

The drama regarding “The Phenom’s” next opponent continues.

Stay tuned to MMA for all your UFC news.



Follow MMAFrenzy