The Resurrection Fighting Alliance returned to action for RFA 8 last night in Milwaukee. The AXS.tv card was headlined by Sergio Pettis taking on late-replacement Dillard Pegg, and the younger Pettis certainly lived up to the family name with an explosive knockout. In the co-main event, Lance Palmer bounced back from an early deficit to win the RFA featherweight title.
Sergio Pettis continued to improve his standing as one of the best flyweight prospects in MMA tonight in Milwaukee. Pettis showed no issue with the late change of opponent, original opponent Jeff Curran was forced out due to family issues, as quickly jumped all over Dillard Pegg. Pettis landed a slick right hand, after parrying with his left, to drop Pegg in devastating fashion. The 19-year-old fighter improved to 8-0 with the victory and is drawing a lot of attention from promotions looking for a talented flyweight.
In the co-main event of the evening, Lance Palmer took on RFA featherweight champion Jared Downing. Downing looked good early on in the fight, securing the first two rounds on most cards. The Team Alpha Male product would not let that get to him however, and surged back into the fight over the last three rounds abandoning his usually dominant wrestling game for a hard-hitting striking attack. Downing would start to lose steam as the fight wore on due to the constant pressure Palmer used. By the end of the fight, Palmer was able to use his wrestling attack again and it allowed him to secure the fight despite a point deduction for multiple unintentional low blows.
In other action, fighters Pedro Muhoz and Mike “Biggie” Rhodes really stood out with impressive finishes.
RFA 8 Results:
- Inaugural RFA Flyweight Title: Sergio Pettis def. Dillard “Joe” Pegg via knockout (punches) at 0:51 of Round 1
- RFA Featherweight Title: Lance Palmer def. Jared Downing via split decision (46-48, 48-46, 48-46)
- Pedro Munhoz def. Mitch Jackson via submission (guillotine choke) at 4:49 of Round 1
- Mike Rhodes def. Benjamin Smith via knockout (punches) at 0:56 of Round 1
- Dan Moret def. Jose Pacheco via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Zak Ottow def. Matthew Gauthier via submission (arm-triangle choke) at 3:07 of Round 1