The Xtreme Fighting Championships returned to action tonight for XFC 24. The AXS TV event took place live from the Sun Dome on the campus of the University of South Florida. In the main event, Scott Holtzman blasted John Mahlow to win the lightweight crown vacated by Nick Newell earlier this year. In other action, Ricky Rainey, Luis Santos, and Eric Reynolds picked up wins in Tampa.
Holtzman continued his improvement as a serious lightweight prospect tonight in Tampa. Mahlow made it abundantly clear that he wanted the fight to remain on the ground, but Holtzman had other ideas. “Hot Sauce” would batter Mahlow with various strikes for the better part of two rounds before trying to lock up a fight-ending arm-triangle choke in the second. While Holtzman abandoned the choke attempt, he would pound out Mahlow to attain the XFC lightweight crown.
In the co-main event, Ricky Rainey annihilated Reggie Pena in the first round of their welterweight contest. Rainey landed a devastating head kick that sent Pena’s head bouncing off the cage’s padding as he went down in a heap. The referee inexplicably waited for what seemed like an eternity as Pena took more and more unnecessary damage before the referee mercifully intervened.
In other action, Bellator veteran Luis “Sapo” Santos put away opponent Dave Courchaine in less time than it took to introduce the fighters, Eric Reynolds earned another shot at the XFC lightweight crown by choking out Kevin Forcant, and former professional soccer player Cortney Casey made her successful professional debut by defeating Kelly Warren.
XFC 24 Results:
Main Card (AXS TV)
- Vacant XFC Title Fight: Scott Holtzman def. John Mahlow via TKO (strikes) at 2:53 of Round 2
- Ricky Rainey def. Reggie Pena via TKO (strikes) at 4:33 of Round 1
- Luis Santos def. Dave Courchaine via TKO (punches) at 0:10 of Round 1
- Eric Reynolds def. Kevin Forant via submission (arm-triangle choke) at 4:13 of Round 1
- Cortney Casey def. Kelly Warren via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:33 of Round 1
- Shah Bobonis def. Deivison Ribeiro via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- John Cofer def. Chad Livingston via via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Nick Smith def. Ladarious Jackson via DQ (illegal knee) – Round 2, 2:38
- Patrick Williams def. Gabe Maldonado via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:50
- Jason Ignacek def. Ken Crowder via submission (triangle choke) – Round 2, 1:03
- Gilbert Burgos def. Jason Gladey via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)