A knee injury to Anthony Pettis has ruined one of the most anticipated bouts of the summer as he will miss his UFC 163 meeting with featherweight champion José Aldo. Stepping into Pettis’ spot will be “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung. UFC president Dana White made the announcement earlier today via twitter.
Pettis hurt his knee, Korean Zombie will now face Jose Aldo for the title on the Aug card in Rio Brazil.
— Dana White (@danawhite) June 14, 2013
Jung has been out of action due to shoulder surgery since last May, where he earned a title shot by defeating Dustin Poirier in one of the best fights of 2012. Jung was scheduled to square off with Ricardo Lamas for the number one contender slot at UFC 162, but the injury to Pettis bumps him into a title fight.
As of this post, it is unclear if Lamas will remain on 162.
UFC 163 takes place August 3 at the HSBC Arena in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Light heavyweights Lyoto Machida and Phil Davis will co-headline the August billing. A welterweight battle between Demian Maia and Josh Koschek will also feature on the card.
UFC 163 Fight Card:
- UFC Featherweight Title Fight: José Aldo (c) vs. Chan Sung Jung
- Lyoto Machida vs. Phil Davis
- Demian Maia vs. Josh Koschek
- Vinny Magalhães vs. Anthony Perosh
- Tom Watson vs. Thales Leites
- Sergio Moraes vs. Neil Magny
- Clint Hester vs. Cezar “Mutante” Ferreira
- Robert Drysdale vs. Ednaldo Oliveira
- Amanda Nunes vs. Sheila Gaff
- Ian McCall vs. Iliarde Santos
- John Lineker vs. Phil Harris