As expected, the UFC has elected to promote from within with the new UFC 161 main event as the former co-headliner between Dan Henderson and former UFC champion Rashad Evans was elevated to main event status. Despite the promotion, Evans vs. Henderson will remain a three-round fight. The UFC made the announcement official via twitter.
The move was necessitated when a foot injury to UFC interim bantamweight champion Renan Baráo forced him out his main event with challenger Eddie Wineland. It is currently unclear what the promotion’s plans will be for Wineland, but they are expected to make an announcement shortly.
UFC 161 takes place June 15 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. The card is set to be co-headlined by a light heavyweight rematch Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua 2 but either fight could be promoted to main event status.
UFC 161 Fight Card:
Main Card (Pay-per-view 10PM ET)
- Rashad Evans vs. Dan Henderson
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Mauricio Rua
- Eddie Wineland vs. TBA
- Patrick Barry vs. Shawn Jordan
- Alexis Davis vs. Rosi Sexton
Preliminary Card (FX 8PM ET)
- Jake Shields vs. Tyron Woodley
- Sam Stout vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg
- Stipe Miocic vs. Soa Palelei
- Ryan Jimmo vs. Igor Pokrajac
Preliminary Card (Facebook 6PM ET)
- Yves Jabouin vs. Dustin Pague
- Sean Pierson vs. Anthony Waldburger
- Mitch Clarke vs. John Maguire
- Roland Delorme vs. Edwin Figueroa