The New Jersey Athletic Control Board (NJACB) has released the UFC 159 medical suspensions. A total of five fighters received indefinite suspensions including UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Alan Belcher. Fourteen fighters recieved medical suspensions of varying lengths on the fight card.
Jones suffered a gruesome injury to his big toe (WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGE) in the process of defeating Chael Sonnen in the UFC 159 main event. UFC light heavyweight Anthony Perosh, who suffered a similar injury in the past, tweeted some encouragement to the champ:
— Anthony Perosh (@AnthonyPerosh) April 28, 2013
While Jones’ injury was the more gruesome injury, Belcher’s eye injury could be a career-ending injury for the middleweight fighter that has already sustained a detached retina in the same eye.
UFC 159 Medical Suspensions:
- Jon Jones: Suspended indefinitely pending orthopaedic clearance of left foot.
- Chael Sonnen: Suspended 45 days for facial laceration.
- Alan Belcher: Suspended indefinitely pending opthalmological clearance of right eye.
- Cheick Kongo: Suspended 30 days for knockout loss.
- Phil Davis: Suspended indefinitely pending orthopaedic clearance of left knee and x-rays of left thumb.
- Pat Healy: Suspended 45 days for facial lacerations.
- Jim Miller: Suspended for 60 days for recovery and suspended indefinitely pending CT head scan.
- Yancy Medieros: Suspended indefinitely pending orthopaedic clearance of right thumb.
- Gian Villante: Suspended indefinitely pending opthalmological clearance of left eye and x-rays of lower leg and ankle.
- Sheila Gaff: Suspended 30 days for TKO loss.
- Bryan Caraway: Suspended 30 days for rest period.
- Johnny Bedford: Suspended 60 days for facial laceration.
- Steven Siler: Suspended 45 days for scalp laceration.
- Kurt Holobaugh: Suspended 60 days for lower lip laceration.
Be sure to stay tuned to MMAFrenzy for full coverage of UFC 159.
Photo Credit: Brad Penner – USA TODAY Sports