UFC on FUEL TV 9 may have seen a letdown for the main event after Alexander Gustafsson’s injury, but Gegard Mousasi still took on late replacement Ilir Latifi. Mousasi would utilize a slick jab that prevented Latifi from ever being able to effectively close distance. The effective jab allowed Mousasi to cruise to a unanimous decision victory in Stockholm, Sweden.
Be sure to check out our full coverage of UFC on FUEL TV 9.
Mousasi Controls Latifi for Victory
There was not going to be a “Rocky-esque” upset tonight in Stockholm as Mousasi fought a a smart battle against late-replacement Ilir Latifi. Latifi would do his his best to connect with power shots, and tried to get the bout to the canvas, but Mousasi did a masterful job of controlling range in the fight.
Mousasi’s jab left the Swedish fighter’s face bloodied and battered after three rounds of fighting tonight but Latifi refused to back down. Latifi would finally get the fight to the ground in the closing moments of the fight after Mousasi slipped, but was not able to land enough power shots to pull off the upset.
The win marks a successful UFC debut for Gegard Mousasi as he stays undefeated in his last seven fights. The short-notice loss for Latifi marks the third loss of his MMA career.
UFC on FUEL TV 9 Results:
Main Card (FUEL TV 2PM ET)
- Gegard Mousasi def. Ilir Latifi via unanimous decision (30-27,30-27,30-27)
- Ross Pearson def. Ryan Couture via TKO (strikes) at 3:45 of Round 2
- Matt Mitrione def. Philip De Fries via knockout (strikes) at :19 of Round 1
- Brad Pickett def. Mike Easton via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 30-27)
- Diego Brandao def. Pablo Garza via submission (arm-triangle) at 3:27 of Round 1
- Akira Corrasani def. Robbie Peralta via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
Preliminary Card (Facebook 10:30AM ET)
- Reza Madadi def. Michael Johnson via submission (anaconda choke) at 1:33 of Round 3
- Tor Tröeng def. Adam Cella via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:11 of Round 1
- Adlan Amagov def. Chris Spang via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Conor McGregor def. Marcus Brimage via TKO (strikes) at 1:07 of Round 1
- Ryan LaFlare def. Ben Alloway via unanimous decision (30-27,30-27,30-27)
- Tom Lawlor def Michael Kuiper via submission (guillotine choke) at 1:08 of Round 2
- Papy Abedi def. Besam Yousef via split decision (29-28,28-29,29-28)