Last night Zuffa-owned World Extreme Cagefighting took center stage with two title fights on the line at WEC 29 which aired live on Versus. UFC veterans Joe Doerksen and Brock Larson both came away empty handed in the co-featured bouts on the card.
Doerksen was mismatched on paper and it played out in real life as Paulo Filho, a PRIDE Bushido standout, rocked the Canadian with a flurry of punches which forced the referee to stop the fight in the first round earning Filho the formerly-vacant WEC Middleweight Championship.
Larson was taken out even quicker in his title fight. After controlling most of the first round Condit caught Larson in an armbar that stopped the fight before the midway point of the first frame. The win allowed Condit to retain the WEC Welterweight Championship in front of a sold out crowd at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The WEC’s next event, WEC 30, will be held on September 5th and will also be shown live on Versus. Announced matchups for the event include Rob McCullough defending his WEC Lightweight Championship against Richard Crunkilton and a bantamweight title bout between Chase Beebe and challenger Manny Tapia. Former UFC Lightweight Champion Jens Pulver will make his WEC debut at the event in the featherweight division.
Here are the full results:
- Carlos Condit def. Brock Larson via submision (armbar) – Round 1 (2:21). Carlos Condit retains the WEC Welterweight Championship.
- Paulo Filho def. Joe Doerksen via TKO (strikes) – Round 1 (4:07). Paulo Filho wins the vacant WEC Middleweight Championship.
- Jeff Curran def. Stephen Ledbetter via unanimous decision
- Jamie Varner def. Sherron Leggett via TKO (strikes) – Round 1 (4:08)
- Hiromitsu Miura def. Fernando Gonzalez via submission (strikes) – Round 2 (3:35)
- Antonio Banuelos def. Justin Robbins via unanimous decision
- Eric Schambari def. Logan Clark via unanimous decision
- Steve Cantwell def. Justin McElfresh via TKO (strikes) – Round 1 (0:47)
- Blas Avena def. Tiki Ghosn via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1 (1:01)