- WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko has canceled a scheduled US press tour to begin training for his bout against Andrei Arlovski on January 24th at Affliction: Day of Reckoning.
- The UFC has released light heavyweight knockout artist Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou.
- A rumored rematch between Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and Alistair Overeem has been scrapped from K-1 DYNAMITE!! 2008 on New Years Eve.
News and Notes
- The UFC has struck a deal with broadcaster Pro Sieben to return to German television ahead of an anticipated event in the country in mid-2009.
- Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell have not yet signed for their rumored headlining bout at UFC 99 in Germany and neither fighter is “thrilled” about the potential matchup, according to Franklin McNeil on ESPN’s MMA Live, which can be viewed below.
- Former UFC heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum’s hopes to fight for Affliction were dashed this week as the promotion declined to sign the recently released fighter, according to Franklin McNeil on ESPN’s MMA Live, which can be viewed below.
- 43-year-old veteran Mike Van Arsdale has begun training for a potential comeback.
- Welterweight prospect Lyman Good has signed with ESPN Deportes-broadcast Bellator Fighting Championships.
- Antonio Silva has been booked to fight Yoshihiro Nakao on January 4th at Sengoku 7 despite being suspended by the CSAC.
- Incorrect facts aside, Kimbo Slice has been named a “2008 Turkey of the Year” by SI: “Big, mean, bearded street fighter, an Internet You Tube sensation, gets a crack at a title in a hugely hyped mixed martial arts bout after only three pro fights, faces a last-minute replacement and — of course — has his big, mean, bearded head handed to him 14 seconds later. Snorrrrre.”
- DREAM middleweight champion Gegard Mousasi will face Musashi and Tatsuya Kawajiri will take on Kozo Takeda in K-1 kickboxing rules bouts at K-1 DYNAMITE!! 2008.
- Light heavyweight Steve Steinbeiss and middleweight Nissen Osterneck will both make the jump from the WEC to the UFC.
- Heavyweight Cain Velasquez will return to action following a recent knee surgery in February, according to ESPN’s MMA Live, which can be viewed below.
- Disgraced heavyweight Kimbo Slice will likely make an appearance at a K-1 event on December 6th in Japan and is expected to announce that he’ll begin competing for the promotion in March.
- Thales Leites says he’d accept a fight against Demian Maia: “I’d accept a fight, I’m a professional. Demian is a great fighter and has been doing a great job in UFC. It’s possible that they put this fight, because the belt is with a Brazilian guy and we’re growing, so they can put this fight to take one of the Brazilians from the top.”
- UFC.com takes a look at Quinton “Rampage” Jackson’s seven defining moments.
MMA Live Episode 29:
Michael Bisping talks Rashad Evans, MMA media, The Ultimate Fighter, and more:
Quinton Jackson talks UFC 92 Wanderlei Silva rematch:
Trailer for UFC 92: The Ultimate 2008:
Fedor Emelianenko teaching striking: