UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva remained undefeated in the UFC on Saturday night, October 25th, defeating challenger Patrick Cote, though it was a finish nobody hoped for and no one saw coming.
The matchup headlined UFC 90 “Silva vs. Cote” at the sold-out Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Illinois just outside of Chicago.
After a close first round that saw Silva do the most damage with a kick to the head in the final minute, the fight went to the ground in the second. Though Silva again did more damage Cote challenged Silva and went toe-to-toe with him on the feet.
But in the third round, Cote, who became the first fighter to make it past two rounds with Silva in the UFC, suffered a fight ending knee injury just 39-seconds into the frame and the bout was immediately halted, awarding the TKO victory to Silva.
Despite a close start to the fight, the crowd was displeased with both main event fighters and the anti-climactic finish. Silva showboated throughout the matchup, bowing to Cote at the end of the first round, offering to help him up off the ground, and playing games throughout, while Cote was booed for being unable to continue, despite doing his best to keep fighting.
After the fight, Silva apologized to the crowd for his performance and asked the fans not to boo, while Cote revealed that he likely tore his meniscus, re-aggravating a prior injury.
The disappointing main event finish dampened an otherwise solid night of fights that saw Thiago Alves top Josh Koscheck via unanimous decision, effectively assuring him of a welterweight title shot in his next bout, Gray Maynard wrestle his way to a unanimous decision victory over Rich Clementi, Junior Dos Santos upset heavyweight contender with a highlight reel uppercut knockout, and Sean Sherk and Tyson Griffin go toe-to-toe in an exciting bout to kick off the UFC 90 broadcast.
In preliminary action middleweight contender Thales Leites submitted Drew McFedries early in the opening round, Spencer Fisher earned “Submission of the Night” honors for his third-round triangle choke submission of Shannon Gugerty, Dan Miller bested Matt Horwich via unanimous decision, Hermes Franca topped Marcus Aurelio via unanimous decision, and Pete Sell took out Josh Burkman via unanimous decision.
- Anderson Silva def. Patrick Cote via TKO (injury) — Round 3, 0:39
UFC Middleweight Championship
- Thiago Alves def. Josh Koscheck via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Gray Maynard def. Rich Clementi via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Junior Dos Santos def. Fabricio Werdum via KO (punch) — Round 1, 1:20
- Sean Sherk def. Tyson Griffin via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Thales Leites def. Drew McFedries via submission (read naked choke) — Round 1, 1:18
- Spencer Fisher def. Shannon Gugerty via submission (triangle choke) — Round 3, 3:56
- Dan Miller def. Matt Horwich via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Hermes Franca def. Marcus Aurelio via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Pete Sell def. Josh Burkman via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)