Seth Petruzelli, a last-minute replacement for an injured Ken Shamrock, knocked out Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson just 14-seconds into their main event matchup at EliteXC “Heat” on Saturday night at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida.
Shamrock, who was to meet Slice in the “Heat” main event, was forced to withdraw from the matchup after suffering a cut over his left eye earlier in the day. EliteXC ultimately tapped UFC veteran Seth Petruzelli, who was to fight Aaron Rosa in a light heavyweight bout on the event’s preliminary card, to replace Shamrock in the main event against Slice.
Slice closed the distance at the opening bell but Petruzelli connected first with a right that rocked Slice and sent him to the canvas. Slice attempted to recover from the blow but Petruzelli reigned down punches to force the referee to intervene just 14-seconds into the opening round. The upset loss capped off EliteXC’s third “Saturday Night Fights” event on CBS.
In the event’s lone championship bout Jake Shields retained his welterweight title by submitting a game Paul Daley in the second-round after a close opening round to their 170-pound championship matchup.
Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski stopped former IFL champ Roy Nelson in a featured heavyweight matchup presented in partnership with Affliction. Arlovski knocked out Nelson in the second-round with a series of punches punctuated by a right that sent Nelson to the canvas.
Gina Carano, “The Face of Women’s MMA”, kept her undefeated record intact with a unanimous decision victory over Kelly Kobold. Carano picked Kobold apart throughout the fight, bloodying her opponent with accurate Muay Thai strikes and nearly finishing her off with a trio of kicks with just seconds remaing. The judges returned scores of 29-28, 30-27, and 30-27 all in favor of Carano.
In the evening’s first televised bout Benji Radach knocked out former EliteXC middleweight champion Murilo “Ninja” Rua via strikes midway through the second-round.
In preliminary card action Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos defeated Yoko Takahashi via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27), Connor Heun defeated Edson Berto via second-round TKO due to strikes, Mikey Gomez defeated Lorenzo Borgomeo via second-round armbar submission, Bryan Hamade defeated David Gomez via first-round guillotine submission, and Nicolae Cury defeated Jorge Bouchat via first-round submission due to strikes.
Continue reading for complete results from EliteXC “Heat”…
OFFICIAL ELITEXC “HEAT” RESULTS
- Seth Petruzelli def. Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 0:14
- Jake Shields (c) def. Paul Daley via submission (armbar) – Round 2, 3:47
EliteXC Welterweight Championship
- Andrei Arlovski def. Roy Nelson via KO (punch) – Round 2, 3:14
- Gina Carano def. Kelly Kobold via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Benji Radach def. Murilo “Ninja” Rua via KO (strikes) – Round 2, 2:31
- Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos def. Yoko Takahashi via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Connor Heun def. Edson Berto via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 2:18
- Mikey Gomez def. Lorenzo Borgomeo via submission (armbar) – Round 2, 4:06
- Bryan Hamade def. David Gomez via submission (guillotine) – Round 1, 2:03
- Nicolae Cury def. Jorge Bouchat via submission (strikes) – Round 1, 1:35