Sam Caplan has done a superb interview with Dana White for CBS Sportsline and White had lots to say. We first learned of the interview yesterday when news surfaced that Tito Ortiz would be facing Rashad Evans at UFC 71. That was just the beginning with White revealing a lot more in the interview (Part 1 and Part 2) which were released earlier today.
Here is a summary of the major announcements by White:
- White confirmed Randy Couture’s first title defense will be against Mirko Cro Cop or Gabriel Gonzaga, depending upon who wins their fight at UFC 70.
- Anderson Silva will “probably” put his title on the line against Nate Marquardt next.
- Matt Hughes is in line for the next title shot against either Georges St. Pierre or Matt Serra depending on the outcome of their fight at UFC 69.
- UFC has talked to Pride about a possible acquisition but talks have not been in depth up to this point.
- Brandon Vera, who has one fight left on his current UFC contract, has yet to be scheduled for his next bout.
- White says he wants Wanderlei Silva, Fedor Emilianenko, and Dan Henderson along with everyone else including the Nogueira brothers.
- There is no set timetable for the UFC holding an event in Mexico. A Japan event was also mentioned as possible for the future.
- Confirmed UFC 70 will “probably” be on Spike.
- White is training everyday for his boxing match with Tito Ortiz. The match will be shown on UFC.com as well as during a TV show on Spike.
- Confirmed Rashad Evans will likely be Tito Ortiz’s opponent at UFC 71.
- White says he doesn’t plan on leaving Spike anytime soon but hints at ESPN covering fights and The Ultimate Fighter series in the future.
- Stated Quinton “Rampage” Jackson will “most likely” face Chuck Liddell at UFC 71 in My despite reports to the contrary.
- After missing weight Travis Lutter’s UFC status is up in the air.
- The UFC is not planning on adding a featherweight division any time soon.