I am away from the MMAFrenzy.com “offices” for a couple of days so posting will be light through tomorrow so here is all the UFC news you should know about from the past 24 hours:
- Â According to reports both Tennessee and Michigan are considering lifting the ban on MMA allowing the sport, and more specifically the UFC, hold events in the states.
- Leonard Garcia will return to the octagon in several weeks at the Ultimate Fighter 5 finale. No opponent has been named for the fight which should be televised (at least I am crossing my fingers that it is). Garcia was defeated in what is widely regarded as the best fight of UFC 69 by SI coverman Roger Huerta. The bout earned Garcia another shot in the UFC while Huerta has also been propelled to new heights as well.
- In what can be described as an odd move the UFC has denied UFC Mania’s attempted sponsorship of Jon Fitch. So far no reason has been given and really came as a shock to a lot of people including myself. We wish the site as well as Jon the best in getting the situation sorted out.
- All 6 fighters who were tested at UFC 71 have come up clean for both performance enhancing drugs as well as so-called “drugs of abuse”. The fighters tested were Chuck Liddell, Quinton Jackson, Karo Parisyan, Josh Burkman, Alan Belcher, and Sean Salmon.
- Earlier today in an odd announcement Josh Koscheck called for UFC fighters to unite and unionize in a MySpace bulletin. Thankfully it was just a clever hacker who posted it from his account.
- In a recent interview Karo Parisyan has stated he would like to fight Jon Fitch. Pending a Fitch win this match would make sense for the UFC. The division is at a standstill until December with title shots tied up for the next year Parisyan and Fitch could do battle later this year in a true top contenders match for the welterweight title setting up the winner for a title shot next summer.