The Ultimate Fighter 17 returned to action tonight on FX. This week featured the first two quarterfinal bouts. Stay tuned to MMAFrenzy as we track fourteen middleweights, coached by UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen, vying to become The Ultimate Fighter. [Spoilers Below]
Show starts out with Team Jones fighter Bubba McDaniel lamenting the quarterfinals pairings and it is evident that Team Sonnen’s Uriah Hall is in his head.
At the Team Jones training session, Jones works Colin Hart before his fight with Kelvin Gastelum. Hart wants to be more exciting this time out, feeling he did not show his best stuff in his last fight.
In the team Sonnen practice, Sonnen feels confident that Gastelum will win. Sonnen brings in Rousey to work a training session as promised and works judo counters and submissions with the guys. Sonnen tells Rousey that he’s never seen a guy have things click like they have with Kelvin.
At the weighins, both fighters make weight and the bout is set.
Kelvin Gastelum vs. Colin Hart
- Touch of gloves and were off. Both fighters just come out swinging in a sloppy but entertaining brawl. Hart gets drilled and dropped face first. He tries to recover but Gastelum doesn’t let him and it’s over.
Kelvin Gastelum def. Colin Hart via TKO (strikes) – Round 1
At the Sonnen training session, Barnatt is working hard to prep for Andrews. Sonnen admits making a mistake in judging Dylan but he thinks Barnatt’s reach will be too much.
At the Team Jones training session, Andrews works hard with Coach Stonehorse. Jones says the coach was his original Muay Thai coach and talks about how the Native American and Dylan have bonded. Andrews says he looks at him as a father figure in this competition.
Weighins are skipped and Mike Tyson shows up at the fight to meet the guys before their fight. Both are starstruck by his presence and excited to have him watch their fight.
Dylan Andrews vs. Luke Barnatt
- Dylan with a great takedown after a solid exchange from both guys. Dylan with a takedown and avoids a triangle but Barnatt works up. Barnatt is up briefly but Barnatt rolls him back down. Barnatt with an armbar but Andrews works up. Dylan backs out but walks into a takedown as the British fighter gets up. Barnatt is caught in a deep guillotine and Dylan rolls it to mount and then takes Barnatt’s back. Barnatt escapes and there’s a flying knee attempt that’s blocked and Andrews lands a single leg takedown. Andrews lands some good GNP but Barnatt ties him up. Andrews works free and lands some light GNP as the round ends. MMAFrenzy scores it 10-9 Andrews
- DA starts controlling the striking in the second and lands a vicious overhand right before tying up Barnatt in the clinch. DA just seems quicker than Barnatt at this point but Barnatt lands a much needed takedown. Dylan sweeps to a scramble and reverses Barnatt. DA tries a diving punch but ends up stuck on Barnatt’s legs and he settles for half guard. Barnatt is up briefly but Dylan is back on him. Barnatt grabs a Kimora but doesn’t control the body and DA reverses on top with 115 left. Both fighters look tired here as DA tries to stay active with :30 left. DA goes for a no hooks choke with a lot of time remaining. MMAFrenzy has it 10-9 Andrews but the judges send it to a third.
- White seems to agree with the judges, but it seems strange to see a third round here. Touch of gloves and we’re off. Barnatt has the Thai clinch but Andrews breaks free, big shots by Andrews now as he tags Barnatt brutally. Barnatt ties it up but the Austrailian gets free. Another jumping knee by Barnatt is blocked. Vicious punches by DA rock Barnatt and we have a knockdown but he recovers briefly but he eats a devastating punch and it’s over.
Dylan Andrews def. Luke Barnatt via TKO (strikes) – Round 3
Both teams thought the fight was over before the third round was called for. Both coaches are proud of their guys and so is Dana White. Jones admits they showed Andrews a picture of his family prior to the third round and believes it motivated Dylan to push through for the win. Next week’s teaser hints that Team Jones fighter Clint Hester could reenter the competition.
- Kelvin Gastelum def. Colin Hart via TKO (strikes) – Round 1
- Dylan Andrews def. Luke Barnatt via TKO (strikes) – Round 3
- Josh Samman vs. Jimmy Quinlan
- Uriah Hall vs. Bubba McDaniel