History was made tonight at the NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Finals in Des Moines, Iowa as Cornell University’s Kyle Dake became the first wrestler to win four titles in four different weight classes. In the team race, Penn State University won the team title in a close battle with Oklahoma State University.
The NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Finals aired live on ESPN and the night was all about Dake taking on returning national champion, and Dan Hodge Award Winner, David Taylor of Penn State. Taylor would get the early takedown, but Dake would roar back in the match. Dake would carry a 4-2 lead into the third period, but a pair of questionable stalling calls and an escape by Taylor would tie it up. Dake narrowly held the riding time point however, and would win the match 5-4.
Dake’s win was his fourth national title at Cornell. The wrestler became the first in history to win four national titles in four different weight classes.
In the team race, a huge win by Quentin Wright of Penn State over Dustin Kilgore allowed Cael Sanderson’s Nittany Lions to narrowly edge out Oklahoma State for the team title by a score of 123.5 to 119.5. Oklahoma State will have to wait another year to snag their illusive 35th national title.
NCAA Division 1 Wrestling Results:
- 165: #1 Kyle Dake (Cornell) def. #2 David Taylor (Penn State) via decision (5-4)
- 157: #2 Derek St. John (Iowa) def. #1 Jason Welch (Northwestern) via decision (3-2)
- 149: #1 Jordan Oliver (Oklahoma State) def. #2 Jason Chamberlain (Boise State) via decision (3-1)
- 141: #2 Kendric Maple (Oklahoma) def. #4 Mitchell Port (Edinboro) via decision (4-3)
- 133: #1 Logan Stieber (Ohio State) def. #2 Tony Ramos (Iowa) via decision (7-4)
- 125: #2 Jesse Delgado (Illinois) def. #4 Nico Megaludis (Penn State) via decision (7-4)
- 285: #2 Anthony Nelson (Minnesota) def. #5 Michael McMullan (Northwestern) via decision (6-2)
- 197: #2 Quentin Wright (Penn State) def. #1 Dustin Kilgore (Kent State) via decision (8-6)*
- 184: #1 Ed Ruth (Penn State) def. #3 Robert Hamlin (Lehigh) via major decision (12-4)
- 174: #1 Chris Perry (Oklahoma State) def. #2 Matthew Brown (Penn State) via decision (2-1)
*-Win clinched team title for Penn State
- Penn State 123.5
- Oklahoma St. 119.5
- Minnesota 103.0
- Iowa 73.0
- Cornell 65.0
- Ohio St. 59.5
- Missouri 56.5
- Oregon St. 48.5
- Illinois 45.5
- Virginia Tech 43.5
Photo via NCAA.com