Bellator crowned the Season 7 lightweight tournament champion tonight at Bellator 93. The crowd in Lewiston, Maine saw Dave Jansen named the tournament champion after defeating Marcin Held in a fight that netted the fighter a title shot and $100,000.
Held would look good in the first round, landing solid boxing and controlling the clinch to edge out Jansen early. In the second round, the bout turned into a ground war. Held would look for his signature leg attacks on the ground, while Jansen would defend before making him pay with vicious strikes.
In the third round, fatigue would prove a major factor as Held was running on fumes. Held would lock up a promising inverted heel hook over halfway through the round but Jansen would again defend and made him pay with heavy strikes. The submission defense and heavy ground-and-pound were likely the difference as “The Fugitive” netted a unanimous decision championship over the Polish fighter.
Jansen will now face Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler for the title later this year.
- Season 7 Lightweight Tournament Final: Dave Jansen def. Marcin Held via unanimous decision (29-28,29-28,29-28)
- Ryan Martinez def. Travis Wiuff via TKO (strikes) at :18 of Round 1
- Marcus Davis vs. Waachiim Spiritwolf deemed a no contest due to accidental foul
- Dave Vitkay def. Jesse Peterson via technical submission (guillotine choke) at :18 of Round 1
- Michael Page def. Ryan Sanders via TKO (strikes) at :10 of Round 1
- Jason Butcher def. Jack Hermansson via submission (triangle choke) at 2:24 of Round 1
- Mike Mucitelli def. Brett Dillingham via submission (armbar) at 2:48 of Round 1
- Joe Pacheco def. Pierre Pierry via submission (keylock) at 1:54 of Round 1
- Vince Murdock def. John Raio via TKO (strikes) at 3:59 of Round 3
- Jon Lemke def. Jesse Erickson via TKO (strikes) at 2:50 of Round 1
photo courtesy of BellatorMMA