Coming off another victory at UFC 158, UFC featherweight Darren Elkins is stepping up and facing Chad Mendes on short notice. The bout will likely be the featured FX fight for the April card. MMAJunkie first announced the bout.
Elkins replaces an injured Clay Guida, who was knocked off the card last week. Elkins has won five straight fights since dropping to featherweight and was looking for a Top 10 opponent for his next fight. The featherweight defeated Antonio Carvalho over the weekend with a controversial TKO victory.
The bout will join what will be a stacked UFC on Fox 7 fight card in San Jose, California. The main event for the card will have lightweight champion Benson Henderson putting his title on the line against final Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez. The card will be co-headlined by a heavyweight battle between Daniel Cormier and Frank Mir. The card will take place April 20 at the HP Pavilion.
- UFC Lightweight Championship: Benson Henderson (c) vs. Gilbert Melendez
- Daniel Cormier vs. Frank Mir
- Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thomson
- Matt Brown vs. Dan Hardy
- Darren Elkins vs. Chad Mendes
- Roger Bowling vs. Anthony Njokuani
- Jorge Masvidal vs. Tim Means
- Myles Jury vs. Ramsey Nijem
- Francis Carmont vs. Lorenz Larkin
- Clifford Starks vs. Yoel Romero
- Norman Parke vs. Jon Tuck
- Joe Benavidez vs. Darren Uyenoyama