twitter google

Stephan Bonnar Comments on Positive Test at UFC 153

Stephan Bonnar UFC 153 WorkoutsFormer UFC light heavyweight Stephan Bonnar took to the MMA Hour on Monday for his first public statements regarding his positive test following UFC 153. The Ultimate Fighter 1 finalist admitted to knowingly taking a banned substance but insisted that he did so for therapeutic reasons.

Said Bonnar:

“Believe it or not, there are some therapeutic uses to some of the banned substances,” he said. “Bottom line, I wanted to get my strength back. I was very weak. My body didn’t feel good, my joints didn’t feel good. That was my goal.”

Bonnar insisted that he never expected to get the call to face UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, or any fighter, for a bout. Bonnar took the bout believing that the banned substance would have been out of his system before facing Silva.

“I’m not a stupid person. of course, I know I’m going to get tested. I got three weeks to train for the fight, and 35 pounds to lose, and you really think after that I’m going to take something that’s detectable for a month? That makes no sense. Absolutely none.”

The former UFC fighter certainly regrets the decision however, noting how his professional life has changed drastically since the failed test (the second of his career).  Bonnar, who had been an analyst for the UFC on various outlets, still has not talked to UFC president Dana White.

Follow MMAFrenzy