Mendes was originally scheduled to face Manny Gamburyan at UFC 157 before Gamburyan was forced out of his bout due to injury. Mendes originally wanted to fellow top challenger Ricardo Lamas, however a bout with Guida will still keep the Team Alpha Male product in the title hunt.
Guida was last in action at UFC on Fox 6, where he was awarded a somewhat controversial victory over Hatsu Hioki in his native Chicago.
The bout will join what will be a stacked UFC on Fox 7 fight card in San Jose, California. The main event for the card will have lightweight champion Benson Henderson putting his title on the line against final Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez. The card will be co-headlined by a heavyweight battle between Daniel Cormier and Frank Mir. The card will take place April 20 at the HP Pavilion.
- UFC Lightweight Championship: Benson Henderson (c) vs. Gilbert Melendez
- Daniel Cormier vs. Frank Mir
- Nate Diaz vs. Josh Thomson
- Matt Brown vs. Dan Hardy
- Clay Guida vs. Chad Mendes
- Roger Bowling vs. Anthony Njokuani
- Jorge Masvidal vs. Tim Means
- Myles Jury vs. Ramsey Nijem
- Francis Carmont vs. Lorenz Larkin
- Clifford Starks vs. Yoel Romero
- Norman Parke vs. Jon Tuck