Former Strikeforce challenger Tyron Woodley will be stepping in for an injured Erick Silva at UFC 156 against Jay Hieron. It is unclear where the bout will land on the February card. The UFC announced the new pairing on Wednesday night via twitter.
Woodley will look to bounce back after suffering his first career loss to Strikeforce welterweight champion Nate Marquardt at “Strikeforce: Rockhold vs. Kennedy.” Woodley finished at 8-1 in the promotion.
Hieron is still hunting for his first UFC win after dropping a decision at UFC on FX 5 in a rematch with Jake Ellenberger.
UFC 156 will take place February 2 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The card will be headlined by a UFC featherweight championship tilt between the champ, Jose Aldo, and former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar. The card will also mark the return of heavyweight Alistair Overeem, as he takes on Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva.
- UFC Featherweight Championship Fight: Jose Aldo (c) vs. Frankie Edgar
- Alistair Overeem vs. Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva
- Jon Fitch vs. Demian Maia
- Rashad Evans vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
- Tyron Woodley vs. Jay Hieron
- Ian McCall vs. Joe Benavidez
- Bobby Green vs. Jacob Volkmann
- Evan Dunham vs. Gleison Tibau