After UFC 155, UFC President Dana White sat down with members of various media outlets in the MGM Grand Gardens Arena to discuss a myriad of topics involving the UFC, Strikeforce, and the coming year.
Notes from the scrum:
- White will respect the wishes of Cain Velasquez and Daniel Cormier and will allow the training partners to do what they want with the current title situation.
- Mike Goldberg is out for “a while” due to illness.
- Vitor Belfort vs. Michael Bisping is only a title eliminator for the Brit.
- “Anderson has about 3 more fights at 185 lb. then should be fighting GSP”
- If Bisping does face Silva, it will not be in England.
- Anderson Silva is the first man to sign a 10-fight deal with the promotion.
- White implied that Josh Barnett is coming to the UFC.
- Melendez is in negotiations with the promotion. “El Niño” will likely have an immediate title shot.
- Dana White’s tenuous relationship with Todd Duffee has improved.
- Nate Marquardt will be returning to the UFC.
- “What happened with Strikeforce is disgusting”, White said, He then continued to say would love to sit down with every fighter coming from the San Jose-based promotion to apologize.
- The UFC president is still in disbelief over the scores in the Guillard-Varner bout, claims bad judging is killing the fight business.
- Daniel Cormier could be next in line to fight Jon Jones if he chooses to move to the light heavyweight division.
- All the injuries this year changed the UFC’s matchmaking philosophy (ie UFC 158).
- Nick Diaz doesn’t return White’s calls, but Dana does not expect a repeat of the UFC 137 press conference debacle.
- Gilbert Melendez is ready to start training again.
- A rubber match between Cain Velasquez and Dos Santos will be huge and can be done in either Mexico or Brazil.
- Dana White’s personal goal is to have the UFC in New York for its 20th anniversary in November.