The Ultimate Fighter concluded its sixteenth season tonight live from The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada. In the main event, Roy Nelson was tested by Matt Mitrione early before finishing with his trademark power. In the co-main event Colin Smith bested Mike Ricci to become The Ulitmate Fighter 16 champion.
In other action, Pat Barry and Dustin Poirier both notched victories on tonight’s FX main card.
Nelson Decks Mitrione
Matt Mitrione brought his best against Roy Nelson but it was not enough to best the big man. Mitrione did a wonderful job of striking with Nelson and avoiding the takedowns to start the fight but a sneaky uppercut by Nelson turned the fight around. Once that uppercut landed it was all academic, as Nelson followed with a big hook and strikes on the ground to end the fight via TKO.
Colton Smith Controls Mike Ricci to win TUF 16 Final
Colton Smith’s game plan was obvious before the fight began and everyone, including opponent Mike Ricci, knew that was his key to victory. Smith implemented his game plan perfectly, crushing Ricci with a grappling assault that prevented his opponent from doing much of anything. Ricci did not go quietly however, and reversed Colton with a little time left and nearly had an armbar before Colton worked out.
The win makes Colton Smith our TUF 16 Champion, earning him a UFC contract and – rather ironically – a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.
Barry Crushes Del Rosario
Pat Barry and Shane del Rosario both came to fight when they met tonight in the Octagon. Del Rosario got the better of the fight in the first round, showing his strong BJJ background but Barry showed his own evolving skill set by working his way out of each attempt in Del Rosario’s submission chain.
The second round then delivered yet another “knockout of the night” candidate after Barry sent Del Rosario reeling backwards towards the cage. “HD” quickly pounced and rushed the Muay Thai champion and connected on a few more bombs that sent the former Strikeforce to the canvas in a heap.
Poirier Bests Brookins in a Classic Round
TUF 12‘s Jonathan Brookins came out looking to shock Dustin Poirier and he did just that initially before the Louisiana fighter rebounded. Poirier survived two early scares by countering
Main Card (FX, 9 p.m. ET)
- Roy Nelson def. Matt Mitrione via TKO (punches) at 2:58 of Round 1
- TUF 16 Final: Colton Smith def. Mike Ricci via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Pat Barry def. Shane Del Rosario by KO (punches) at 0:26 of Round 2
Melvin Guillard vs. Jamie Varner
- Dustin Poirier def. Jonathan Brookins via submission (D’arce choke) at 4:15 Round 1
Preliminary Card (FUEL TV, 7 p.m. ET)
- Mike Pyle def. James Head by TKO at 1:55 of Round 1
- Johnny Bedford def. Marcos Viniciusvia via KO at 1:00 of Round 2
- Rustam Khabilov def. Vinc Pichel via knockout (suplex and punches) 2:15 of Round 1
- TJ Waldburger def. Nick Catone via submission (triangle choke) at 1:04 of Round 2
Preliminary Card (Facebook, 5:35 p.m. ET)
- Hugo Viana def. Reuben Duran via TKO at 4:05 of Round 1
- Mike Rio def. John Cofer via submission (armbar) at 4:11 of Round 3
- Tim Elliott def. Jared Papazian via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-25, 30-26)