The UFC traveled to Gold Coast, Australia for their sixth foray on FX. The card, which served as the “TUF: The Smashes” final, was headlined by a battle between coaches Ross Pearson and George Sotiropoulos. In the end, Pearson got the best of his rival by netting a TKO victory. Elsewhere on the card welterweight Robert Whittaker and lightweight Norman Parke netted the first ever “TUF: The Smashes” crowns, while Hector Lombard rebounded from a tough debut to net a crushing victory.
Pearson Floors Sotiropoulos
Ross Pearson found himself in a tough fight with rival George Sotiropoulos but the Brit ended up victorious. Pearson landed his left hand several times during the bout and that was certainly the story of the fight. Sotiropoulos’s best moment came in the first round when he nearly secured the rear-naked choke finish but “The Real Deal” survived and after a slow start to round 2, found his rhythm late in the round. Pearson wasted little time in the third round, landing a stiff jab to a body hook that buckled the Aussie and forced the referee to step in.
Whittaker Edges Scott in a Thriller to net TUF “The Smashes” Welterweight Crown
Brad Scott and Robert Whittaker absolutely brought it in this fight and left it all in the Octagon when they faced off in Australia. In the end, Australia’s Whittaker netted the unanimous decision victory to secure the “TUF: The Smashes” welterweight crown. Whittaker appeared to take the first and third rounds to notch the victory. Scott did his best to battle in there but Whittaker was the cleaner striker in the end.
Parke Bests Fletcher to Become Inaugural TUF “The Smashes” Lightweight Champion
Northern Ireland’s Norman Parke looked fantastic in the first “TUF: The Smashes” final. The black belt judoka controlled the fight in all aspects of the game through the first two rounds before electing duel it out with Colin Fletcher in the standup for much of the final frame before scoring a late takedown. The win made Parke the first “TUF: The Smashes” champion in UFC history.
“Lightning” Lombard Strikes Down Palhares
The UFC got the explosive fighter they believed they had signed when they inked Hector Lombard tonight. “Lightning” overwhelmed Rousimar Palhares in the standup and showed good ground awareness tonight in his adopted homeland of Australia. Lombard finished Palhares with a devastating series of lefts that left the Brazilian unconscious on the canvas.
An ecstatic Lombard would then call out the UK’s Michael Bisping after the fight.
- Ross Pearson def. George Sotiropoulos via TKO at 0:41 of Round 3
- TUF “The Smashes” Welterweight Final: Robert Whittaker def. Brad Scott via decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- TUF “The Smashes” Lightweight Final: Norman Parke def. Colin Fletcher via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Hector Lombard def. Rousimar Palhares via TKO (strikes) at 3:38 of Round 1
Preliminary Card Results
- Chad Mendes def. Yaotzin Meza via knockout (punches) at 1:55 of Round 1
- Joey Beltran def. Igor Pokrajac via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Mike Pierce def. Seth Baczynski via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ben Alloway def. Manuel Rodriguez via KO (kick, punches) at 4:57 of Round 1
- Mike Wilkinson def. Brenden Loughnane by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Cody Donovan def. Nick Penner via TKO at 4:35 of Round 1