UFC on FX 6 kicked off tonight from Gold Coast, Australia with a six-fight preliminary card. The FUEL TV preliminary card was punctuated by a devastating knockout by Chad Mendes over late-replacement Yaotzin Meza. In other action, Joey Beltran, Mike Pierce, Ben Alloway, Mike Wilkinson, and Cody Donovan notched victories.
Chad Mendes made short work of Yaotzin Meza with a devastating knockout victory. Meza opened himself up for the coup de grâce by throwing an errant left hook that Mendes countered with a brutal overhand right. From that point it was all academic, as Mendes quickly finished the fighter to notch his second-straight knockout victory.
Joey Beltran put on the best performance of his career over Igor Pokrajac in Australia. Beltran looked considerably well-prepared for this fight, showing an array of skills that improved up his natural brawling style. The win allowed Beltran to bounce back after a loss to James Te Huna in his last bout.
Mike Pierce smother Seth Baczynski enroute to a solid decision victory for the fighter. Baczynski tried his best to get his offense going but every time he started to get in rhythm Pierce would execute another takedown or clinch to slow him down. The win was Pierce’s third victory of 2012.
In other action, some “TUF: Smashes” scores were settled as Ben Alloway landed an explosive frontkick knockout of Manuael Rodriguez, Mike Wilkinson edged Brendan Loughnane in an exciting bout, and Cody Donovan rebounded from a tough start to finish Nick Penner.
Preliminary Card Results
- Chad Mendes def. Yaotzin Meza via knockout (punches) at 1:55 of Round 1
- Joey Beltran def. Igor Pokrajac via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Mike Pierce def. Seth Baczynski via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ben Alloway def. Manuel Rodriguez via KO (kick, punches) at 4:57 of Round 1
- Mike Wilkinson def. Brenden Loughnane by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Cody Donovan def. Nick Penner via TKO at 4:35 of Round 1