“The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson” returned to action tonight on FX. This week marked the sixth fight in the house with coach Roy Nelson selecting the sixth bout after Team Carwin’s Eddie Ellis lost a controversial fight to Team Nelson’s Colton Smith. “TUF 16″will air every Friday night until the live finale on December 1 as 16 welterweights vie to become “The Ultimate Fighter.” SPOILERS BELOW
After winning the last fight Team Nelson elects to revert back to his unorthodox tactics of fight selection by having the remaining fighters pick a random number. Dom Waters ends up landing the closest to the number and gets the choice. Dom asks Nelson to select his fight based on who Nelson believes he matches up with best. Nelson refuses to do so and Waters gives up his choice to Michael Hill, who immediately chooses house nemesis Matt Secor.
The episode spent very little time at training and the house. Focusing briefly on Hill’s background, where the fighter spoke of MMA as his second chance after making mistakes in his other sports ventures. The show also spent some time with Hill’s opponent, where Secor recounted his time in the US Army’s 82nd Airborne Division. Secor also talked about how the deaths of his brother, in combat, and his father’s death changed and motivated him.
Matt Secor vs. Michael Hill
- Round 1 – Very little action in the first round. Both fighters landed a hard shot apiece, but Hill lands a takedown. Both fighters exchange small strikes, and Secor attempts a few sweeps but Hill seems content just to grind out the round. 10-9 Hill.
- Round 2 – Hill looks to land a hard power shot with big wild punches. Secor goes for a takedown but is unable to get and he rotates into guard. Hill backs out this time. Secor gets back up and lands the takedown. Secor easily moves to mount and then takes Hill’s back. Secor goes for the choke but the cage makes it difficult to finish. Hill tries to escape but Secor keeps his position for the remainder of the round with Hill constantly fighting the choke and punches. 10-9 Secor (19-19).
- Round 3 - Judges agree and send this fight to a third round. Michael again ends up on top but doesn’t stay there long as there’s a restart. Secor then shoots for a takedown and gets it. Secor works in Hill’s guard briefly, before Hill tries to escape and Secor again takes his back. Secor looks for the choke but Hill traps his arm. Secor secures the figure four body lock and stays in a dominant position for the remainder of the round. 10-9 Secor (29-28 Secor)
Sam Alvey(lost to Joey Rivera)
- Bristol Marunde def. Julian Lane via unanimous decision (20-18, 20-18, 20-18)
- Mike Ricci
- Neil Magny def. Cameron Diffly via unanimous decision (20-18, 20-18,20-18)
- James Chaney
Eddie Ellis(lost to Colton Smith)
- Igor Araujo def. Nic Herron-Webb via majority decision (19-18,19-19,19-18)
Matt Secor(lost Michael Hill)
- Dom Waters
- Michael Hill def. Matt Secor via split decision (29-28,28-29,29-28)
Cameron Diffley(lost to Neil Magny)
- Colton Smith def. Eddie Ellis via majority decision (19-18,19-19,19-18)
- Jon Manley
Nic Herron-Webb(lost to Igor Araujo)
- Joey Rivera def. Sam Alvey via majority decision (19-19,20-18,20-18)
Julian Lane(lost to Bristol Marunde)