Bellator 78 kicked off tonight at the Nutter Center from the campus of Wright State University in Fairborn, Ohio. The welterweight division was highlighted tonight, with welterweights Lyman Good and Andrey Koreshkov advancing to the finals of the Season 7 Welterweight Tournament. In other action, Daniel Straus and Brian Rogers impressed in their respective victories.
In the main event, former welterweight champion dominated Michail Tsarev en route to a TKO victory in the second round. While the final exchange was initiated by a somewhat controversial sequence involving an accidental eye strike, Good’s performance over the first two rounds clearly showed him to be the better fighter. Good will now vie for a $100,000 and a shot at the title in the finals.
In the night’s other semifinal, Andrey Koreshkov wasted little time in defeating Marius Zaromskis. Koreshkov dropped Zaromskis with a brutal left hook and then quickly put Zaromskis away with with vicious strikes. Koreshkov now meets Lyman Good in the finals.
Daniel Straus was throughly dominant in his fight with Alvin Robinson tonight. Straus utilized his wrestling to eventually secure a fight ending rear-naked choke at 4:51 of Round 1.
Brian Rogers tried everything he could to knockout Dominique Steele but the fighter lived up to his surname by not breaking. Rogers throughly dominated the entire fight but just could not seem to find the one shot to put away Steele.
Bellator 78 Results:
- Season 7 Welterweight Semifinal: Lyman Good def. Michail Tsarev via TKO (strikes) at 3:54 Round 2
- Season 7 Welterweight Semifinal: Andrey Koreshkov def. Marius Zaromskis via TKO (strikes) at 2:14 Round 1
- Daniel Straus def. Alvin Robinson via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:51 Round 2
- Brian Rogers def. Dominique Steele via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Zoila Gurgel def. Casey Noland via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jason Butcher def. Shaun Asher via submission (guillotine choke) at 1:32 of Round 1
- Billy Horne def. Trey Houston via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:20 of Round 1
- Mikkel Parlo def. Jared Combs via TKO (punches) at 3:51 of Round 1
- Rob Hanna def. Rocky Edwards via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Justin McNally def. David Blatman via submission (triangle choke) at 0:38 of Round 1