UFC 153 is now a thing of the past as the event is now complete at the HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In the main event, UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva made it look easy against the larger Bonnar. In the co-main event, MMA legend Antonio Minotauro Nogueira submitted Dave Herman. In other action, Glover Teixeira, Jon Fitch, Phil Davis, and Demian Maia all notched victories.
Silva Makes it Look Easy Against Bonnar
Anderson Silva was the massive favorite for a reason against Stephan Bonnar. Silva made it look easy against the TUF 1 finalist. Silva allowed Bonnar to try whatever he could to knock him out or take him down and Bonnar was unable to do much at all. Silva then hit an arm drag to a heel pick that tripped the “American Psycho” and Silva pounced quickly with punches and then a coffin nail of a knee to the chest. Bonnar dropped and Silva teed off until the referee intervened.
Silva made sure to reiterate that his move to 205 pounds was only to save tonight’s card and that his weight class will remain at 205.
Nogueira Submits Herman
Dave Herman stated before the fight tonight that “Jiu-Jitsu doesn’t work,” Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira was determined to make him eat those words and he succeeded. Herman never seemed to take the fight seriously until Nogueira rocked him in the second round. Herman would survive that scramble but lost out later in the round after a slick trip by Nogueira led to the Brazilian fighter advancing to mount and going for an armbar. While Herman was safe initially, when he tried to roll to an escape Nogueira transitioned beautifully and locked the armbar in. Herman was left with no choice but to tap.
Teixeira Annihilates Maldonado
In one of the most one-sided beatings in recent memory, Glover Teixeira destroyed Fabio Maldonado until a doctor mercifully stepped in after the second round. Teixeira only got in some trouble when he let his guard down at the end of the first and was clipped by a hook from Maldonado. Other than that, this was a fight that needed to be stopped several times despite Maldonado’s heart.
Teixeira is now 2-0 in the UFC and respectfully asked to fight his idol and original opponent, Quinton “Rampage” Jackson.
Fitch Outlasts and Derails Silva
Jon Fitch and Erick Silva went to war for two rounds of their three round row. Unfortunately for Silva, the third was a one-sided round as Fitch went to work on the Brazilian prospect. Fitch blasted away on the fighter to emphatically seal up a victory for the AKA product. The win snapped a two-fight winless streak for the former Purdue wrestler.
Davis Destroys Prado
Phil Davis destroyed Wagner Prado in their rematch of their previous no contest. Davis utilized his wrestling advantage to hammer an emotional Prado. Prado came out very excited for the bout but it quickly turned to disappointment as Davis dominated him on the ground. Davis pounded Prado on the ground throughout most of the first two rounds before going for an arm triangle, Prado escaped the arm triangle but was caught in a front-headlock. Davis then secured a gator roll to an anaconda choke and Prado immediately tapped. The bout was arguably one of the most dominant performances of Davis’s career.
Maia a Horror for Story
Demian Maia wanted to make a statement in this fight against Rick Story and he certainly did so. Maia wasted no time in getting Story to the canvas and from there it was all but over. Maia launched into a grappling assault, mixed in with some ground and pound, and got to the mount. Maia then transitioned to the back and finished Story via neck crank. Maia is now a perfect 2-0 in the division, Story is back to the drawing board now after falling to 1-3 in his last four.
Main Card (PPV 10PM ET)
- Anderson Silva def. Stephan Bonnar via TKO (knee and punches) at 4:40 of Round 1
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira def. Dave Herman via submission (armbar) at 4:31 of Round 2
- Glover Teixeira def. Fabio Maldonado via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) at 5:00 of Round 2
- Jon Fitch def. Erick Silva via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Phil Davis def. Wagner Prado via submission (anaconda choke) at 4:49 Round 2
- Demian Maia def. Rick Story via submission (neck crank) at 2:30 of Round 1
Preliminary Card (FX 8PM ET)
- Rony “Jason” Mariano Bezerra def. Sam Sicilia via TKO (punches) at 4:16 of Round 2
- Gleison Tibau def. Francisco Trinaldo via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Diego Brandao def. Joey Gambino via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Sergio Moraes def. Renee Forte via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:10 of Round 3
- Chris Camozzi def. Luiz Cane via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Cristiano Marcello def. Reza Madadi via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 30-27)