UFC on FX 5 kicked off tonight from the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In the main event, Antonio Silva took advantage of an injured Travis Browne and secured a first round TKO victory. In the co-main event, Jake Ellenberger avenged his first career MMA loss when he defeated Jay Hieron.
In other action, Jon Dodson secured a flyweight title shot and Justin Edwards stunned Josh Neer with a quick victory.
Silva Floors Browne
Travis Browne came out wild and crazy against Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva and it may have cost him as he appeared to blow out his left knee. Silva blocked the hard shots of Browne and landed a few hard ones of his own before Browne planted awkwardly on a punch and his knee buckled. Silva seized control of the moment and turned it on. The Brazilian landed a vicious uppercut to overhand right to send Browne reeling on the injured leg. Silva quickly followed up with massive shots to get the victory.
Silva snaps a two-fight losing streak to AKA teammates Daniel Cormier and Cain Velasquez with the victory over Browne. The loss for Browne is the first of his career.
Ellenberger Bests Hieron, Avenges First MMA loss
Jake Ellenberger avenged his first ever MMA loss by defeating Jake Hieron by unanimous decision in Minnesota. Ellenberger managed to land the more damaging shots in the fight and was able to secure the takedowns when needed them to edge out the decision.
The win get’s Ellenberger back on track after a frustrating loss to Martin Kampmann earlier this year. Hieron is now still seeking his first UFC win but should get another shot after holding his own with “The Juggernaut.”
Dodson Knocks Out “Formiga”
It was a slow start but a quick finish when John Dodson met Jussier “Formiga” da Silva in Minneapolis. Neither fighter was really able to gain an advantage for the majority of tonight’s fight before Dodson caught da Silva with his hands low and attempted to finish the bout but “Formiga” seemed to recover. Dodson then caught the Brazilian again with about 0:35 left and this time “Formiga” was unable to recover as he swarmed with hard shots as the referee stepped in.
Dodson is now expected to face UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson for the flyweight strap at a to be determined location.
Edwards Wastes Little Time in Dispatching Neer
Justin Edwards swarmed quickly and finished Josh Neer via guillotine choke less than a minute into the first round. Edwards stormed quickly and Neer managed to tie him up in the clinch before Edwards jumped into a standing guillotine. Neer slowly fell to the ground and was completely out in seconds. The win brings Edwards back to .500 in the promotion and likely saves his job. This is the second straight loss for the longtime veteran Neer.
Main Card (FX 8PM ET)
- Antonio Silva def. Travis Browne via TKO (punches) at 3:27 at Round 1
- Jake Ellenberger def. Jay Hieron via unanimous decision (29-28,29-28,29-28)
- John Dodson def. Jussier “Formiga” da Silva via knockout (punches) at 4:35 of Round 2
- Justin Edwards def. Josh Neer via submission (guillotine choke) at 0:45 of Round 1
Preliminary Card (FUEL TV 5PM ET)
- Yves Edwards vs. Jeremy Stephens*
- Michael Johnson def. Danny Castillo via knockout (punches) at 1:06 of Round 2
- Mike Pierce def. Aaron Simpson via knockout (punch) at 0:29 of Round 2
- Marcus LeVesseur def. Carlo Prater via split decision (29-28,28-29,29-28)
- Jacob Volkmann def. Shane Roller via submission (rear naked choke) at 2:38 of Round 1
- Diego Nunes def. Bart Palaszewski via unanimous decision (30-27,29-28,30-27)
- Darren Uyenoyama def. Phil Harris via (rear naked choke) at 3:38 of Round 2
*UFC President Dana White saying Stephen’s will fight tonight but not sure where, Stephens is still in jail