After the UFC on Fuel TV 5 post-fight press conference in Nottingham, England, UFC President Dana White met with various media outlets to discuss some of the various topics about the current state of things in the world of Zuffa. White addresses a few rumored bouts and talks about future global expansion plans, rather heavily.
Notes from the Scrum:
- Matt Mitrione turned down a fight with Daniel Cormier
- The UFC is not ruling out bringing a title fight to the UK, but there are a lot of issues to sort out first.
- The Promotion will definitely head back to Sweden and expand into Finland.
- “Every culture in the world has a fight culture, it just depends on how you present it” – White on the expansion into India.
- “Macau is the easiest place (in China) to put on an event, then it should spread to the mainland.”
- Carwin is not out of the Nelson fight, that’s simply a rumor.
- No plans to expand into Poland thus far.
- France, China, India, and Italy are the next countries on the docket
- Sean Shelby is the man behind Macau event.
- The UFC has considered crowning regional champions due to the time differences causing an inability to find a viable draw in some countries. Ideas are still being “kicked around”.
- White claims to have never encouraged Guida to move down in weight.
- The UFC President likes the idea of Cormier vs. Jones as the AKA fighter’s UFC debut.
- South Africa is also on the docket for global expansion.
- “You can’t grow the sport with 5-8 shows per year. Fighters can’t make money and new talent can’t be brought in.”
- The UFC will likely never attempt to go to Utah again.
- “If Bautista can find success in MMA, good for him. I think it’s great that other guys are getting into MMA.”