This evening’s Bellator 74 emanates live from New Jersey at Caesar’s Atlantic City. The main portion of the card features the Season 7 welterweight tournament, meanwhile the preliminaries showcase a mix of local talent and established Bellator fighters like Brazilian dynamo Alexandre “Popo” Bezerra.
It didn’t take long for Bezerra to get it done inside the cage. Matt McCook, a late replacement for Jeff Smith, almost immediately found himself outclassed on the feet. The Tampa resident eventually found himself on the mat. “Popo” then took his back and locked in a rear-naked choke, forcing the tap at 3:04.
A featherweight bout, which saw Will Martinez clash with Casey Johnson, ended convincingly as “Full Speed” gave up his back after eating some shots on the ground. He then found himself falling right into a rear-naked choke and tapping at 2:27.
Michelle Ould derailed the Munah Holland hype train, muscling the Jersey-based bantamweight around the cage for 15 minutes. At the final bell, “T-Cat” had her hand raised as the judges rendered a unanimous decision victory (30-27, 30-27, 29-28) in her favor.
It was a thrilling opening stanza in the lightweight bout between Philippe Nover and Derrick Kennington. The Filipino worked his ground and pound, but found himself in some very deep submissions from Kennington. Unfortunately for “DK”, the TUF veteran was all business in the second round. After battering his opponent with heavy punches and elbows from the guard, “Super” Nover locked on a rear-naked choke that would put the Jersey native to sleep at 4:20 of the second frame.
Brylan Van Artsdalen finally notched his first win inside the Bellator cage after going 0-4 in his initial promotional run. The Pennsylvanian featherweight sunk a guillotine on Jay Haas, mid-scramble, forcing a tap in just 63 seconds.
Claudio Ledesma cruised to victory in a bantamweight tilt against Kenny Foster. After fifteen minutes, the Renzo Gracie student would have his hand raised with a unanimous 30-27 decision.
Preliminary Card (Spike.com)
- Alexandre Bezerra def. Matt McCook via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:04 of Round 1
- Will Martinez, Jr., def. Casey Johnson via submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:27 of Round 1
- Michelle Ould def. Munah Holland via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Phillipe Nover def. Derrick Kennington via submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:40 of Round 2
- Brylan Van Artsdalen def. Jay Haas via guillotine choke submission, Rd. 1 (1:03)
- Claudio Ledesma def. Kenny Foster via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)