Invicta FC will see their first champion crowned in their third offering as Jessica Penne meets Naho Sugiyama for the Invicta FC Atomweight Championship. The championship bout will serve to anchor the card as Invicta takes the Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas on October 6.
Penne (9-1) is riding back-to-back wins, most recently knocking out Lisa Ellis at the promotion’s inaugural event. The Reign MMA product has tasted defeat just once in her career, losing a decision Zoila Gurgel in her Bellator Championship title run. While having only fought once since 2010, the ground specialist has shown that she is still one of the premier women’s mixed martial artists on the planet, especially when competing at her proper weight of 105 lb.
Undefeated in her budding MMA career, Sugiyama (8-0) has taken on some of the best prospects Japan has to offer in Valkyrie and Jewels. Most recently coming off a majority decision win over Yasuko Tamada, “Sugi Rock” looks to make her stateside debut a triumphant one by taking home Invicta’s first championship title.
The complete card for “Invicta FC 3: Penne vs. Sugiyama” includes:
- Jessica Penne vs. Naho Sugiyama
- Shayna Baszler vs. Sarah D’Alelio
- Barb Honchak vs. Aisling Daly
- Tara Larosa vs. Vanessa Porto
- Leslie Smith vs. Cat Zingano
- Michelle Waterson vs. Lacey Schuckman
- Julia Budd vs. Elaina Maxwell
- Carla Esparza vs. Lynn Alvarez
- Ashley Cummins vs. Joanne Calderwood
- Amy Davis vs. Stephanie Frausto
- Jessamyn Duke vs. Marciea Allen
- Tecia Torres vs. Kaiyana Rain
- Katalina Malungahu vs. Taylor Stratford