MMAFrenzy’s coverage of UFC on Fox 4 rolls along with our recap of the preliminary card. The Fuel TV-aired card had the full range of outcomes from fantastic submissions and knockouts to frustrating no decisions.
Be sure to stay tuned to MMAFrenzy as we continue to cover UFC on Fox 4 throughout the night.
Nam Phan fought the larger Cole Miller brilliantly for the better part of three rounds. Using his high-level boxing skills, Phan closed the distance intelligently and peppered Miller with punches to the body and head. Miller fought tough by mixing in kicks and punches but he was unable to get the fight where he usually dominates and that likely cost him in the end. Nam Phan improves to 2-1 in last three with Miller falling to 1-2. Miller has not won since dropping to featherweight.
Phil Davis and Wagner Prado had different ideas for how their bout was supposed to go tonight. With Davis looking to create space on an advancing Prado, an errant eye poke cut Prado below the eye. What happened next was frustrating for both fighters as the language barrier between Prado and the doctor appeared to lead to the fight being called.
Also of note:
- Rani Yahya impressed with a modified north-south choke that his opponent, Josh Grispi, thought he was defended against.
- Phil De Fries did a great job of wearing down and submitting Oli Thompson, improving to 9-1-1
- Manny Gamburyan and Michiro Omigawa impressed with a fantastic three round battle.
- Wrestler Jon Moraga decided he did not need his wrestling and blasted through Ulysses Gomez with devastating power.
Preliminary Card (FUEL TV)
- Nam Phan def. Cole Miller via split decision (29-28,28-29,29-28)
- Phil Davis vs. Wagner Prado ruled a no decision (unintentional foul)
- Rani Yahya def. Josh Grispi via submission (north-south choke) at 3:15 of Round 1
- Phil De Fries def. Oli Thompson via submission (face crank) at 4:16 of Round 1
- Manny Gamburyan def. Michihiro Omigawa via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Jon Moraga def. Ulysses Gomez via KO (strikes) at 3:46 of Round 1