UFC 149 took place tonight from the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary, Alberta. Unfortunately, the majority of the main card heard a chorus of boos as explosive action earlier in the evening ground to a halt after Matt Riddle submitted Chris Clements. In the main event, Renan Barão picked apart Urijah Faber for the better part of five rounds to pick up the interim bantamweight title.
In other action, Tim Boetsch, Cheick Kongo, James Head, and Matt Riddle all notched wins.
Barão Cruises Past Faber for Interim Bantamweight Title
Renan Barão was simply too much for Urijah Faber tonight. Faber was unable to get the fight to the ground and was never able to find a way inside the reach of the Brazilian for more than one or two strikes at a time. Barão pounded the legs of Faber and picked him apart with punches to pick up the belt.
Renan Barão is now the interim UFC bantamweight champion and has previously said he will likely wait for champion Dominick Cruz to return to action.
Boetsch Snaps Lombard’s 24-fight Unbeaten Streak
Tim Boetsch became the first person to defeat Hector Lombard since Gegard Mousasi at PRIDE Bushido 13. That said, it was a less than stellar victory as neither fighter was very active in this fight. While it is well-known that Hector Lombard prefers to counter-punch, Boetsch did not give him much to counter. While Boetsch earned the nod on the cards, the fight could have gone to either fighter and there would not have been a bad decision.
Kongo Grinds Out Decision Against Jordan
In a rather unentertaining battle, Cheick Kongo ground out a decision victory against Shawn Jordan. Jordan was simply unable to ever get started against Kongo. Kongo utilized excellent takedown defense throughout the fight and controlled the fight against the cage for the majority of the fight.
Head Frustrates Ebersole
James Head showed strong takedown defense against Brian Ebersole and it clearly frustrated Ebersole. Head stuffed Ebersoles takedowns throughout the night and connected on enough strikes to edge the veteran and end Ebersole’s 11-fight win-streak.
Riddle Taps Clements
It was an ugly fight, but Matt Riddle pulled it out in the end with a little JV-level wrestling. After a sloppy fight with Chris Clements, Riddle locked up a head and arm throw and finished it with the arm-triangle choke in the third round.
Main Card (PPV)
- Interim Bantamweight Title: Renan Barao def. Urijah Faber via unanimous decision (49-46, 50-45, 49-46)
- Tim Boetsch def. Hector Lombard via split decision (29-28,28-29,29-28)
- Cheick Kongo def. Shawn Jordan via unanimous decision (30-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- James Head def. Brian Ebersole via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Matt Riddle def. Chris Clements via submission (arm-triangle choke) at 2:02 of Round 3
Preliminary Card (FX)
- Nick Ring def. Court McGee unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Francisco Rivera def. Roland Delorme via KO (punch) at 4:19 of Round 1
- Ryan Jimmo def. Anthony Perosh via KO (punch) at 0:07 of Round 1
- Bryan Caraway def. Mitch Gagnon via submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:39 of Round 3
Preliminary Card (Facebook)
- Antonio Carvalho def. Daniel Pineda via KO (strikes) at 1:11 of Round 1
- Anton Kuivanen def. Mitch Clarke via split decision (29-28,28-29,29-28)