Juanito Ibarra, Quinton Jacksonâ€™s head trainer and manager, claimed earlier this week that he would be filing a formal protest regarding the scoring of Jackson’s UFC 86 unanimous decision loss to new champion Forrest Griffin. It seems now, however, that Ibarraâ€™s beef is rather pointless:
â€œKeith Kizer, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission, said Tuesday that no formal protest has been filed and that he does not expect one from Ibarra. Kizer said, however, Ibarra did contact with complaints about the first round scoring. In that round Jackson landed some nice uppercuts, including one that seemed to hurt Griffin.
But, Kizer pointed out, giving the round to Jackson would only mean Griffin would take a majority decision and still be the new UFC light heavyweight champion â€” perhaps thatâ€™s the reason no formal protest has been filed at this time.â€
With an immediate rematch between Jackson and Griffin a strong possibility, I’d say Juanito should be focusing more on his fighter and less on paperwork anyway.