The first season of The Ultimate Fighter Live concluded tonight live from Las Vegas, Nevada. In the main event, Martin Kampmann overcame multiple scares to drop Jake Ellenberger. In the co-main event, Mike Chiesa punctuated his inspiring TUF run with a win over Al Iaquinta to secure the TUF Live title.
In other action, Charles Oliveira, Justin Lawrence, and Max Holloway all notched victories on the main card.
Kampmann Derails Juggernaut
It was a display of power versus technique in the main event as Martin Kampmann and Jake Ellenberger battled it out in the main event with technique proving victorious. Kampmann survived scares in both the first and second rounds to overcome a rampaging Ellenberger.
Ellenberger’s power proved successful early but Kampmann slipped one of those power shots and landed a right that staggered Ellenberger in the second. Ellenberger tried to recover against the cage but Kampmann expertly closed in for the kill and finished the former UNO wrestler with three hard knees.
Chiesa Completes Amazing Run, Becomes TUF Live Champion
Mike Chiesa was out to prove he was more than just a story of perseverance coming into this fight and he certainly did. While his striking needs a lot of seasoning, Chiesa showed a ton of heart and wrestling skill as he constantly made the best of the bad positions he got caught in.
After having a second kick caught by Iaquinta, Chiesa countered with a body lock and trip to take Iaquinta’s back. After that it was all but over as Iaquinta was unable to fight off the rear-naked choke.
“Do Bronx” Submits Brookins
Jonathan Brookins and Charles Oliveira were both impressive in their bout tonight. While Oliveira was clearly the more technical striker, Brookins attacked with a more brawler-esque striking attack that saw some success. Ironically, it was Brookins offense that lead to his demise in this bout.
After tagging Oliveira with a few shots, Oliveira went for a takedown that Brookins countered with a guillotine choke. Brookins appeared to have a tight grip but Oliveira gutted it out and fought his way out. Brookins then attempted to wall walk back to his feet but left his neck open and Oliveira quickly finished Brookins with a modified guillotine choke.
Holloway Drums Schilling
In a bout that was never even close, Max Holloway pounded Pat Schilling in an absolute mismatch from start to finish. Schilling showed heart but the bout was never in doubt, with the only shocker being that all judges only scored the bout 30-27.
Lawrence Provides “KO of the Year” Candidate over Cofer
Justin Lawrence may have disappointed those who prematurely anointed him this year’s TUF champion, but he certainly made up for it tonight with a nasty knockout of John Cofer. The two battled for two straight rounds before Lawrence beautifully set up the knockout by faking a front kick and then firing a devastating head kick that floored Cofer cold.
FX Main Card:
- Martin Kampmann def. Jake Ellenberger via TKO (knees) at 1:40 of Round 2
- TUF Live Final: Mike Chiesa def. Al Iaquinta via technical submission (rear-naked choke) at 2:47 of Round 1
- Charles Oliveira def. Jonathan Brookins via submission (guillotine choke) at 2:42 of Round 2
- Max Holloway def. Pat Schilling via unanimous decision (30-27,30-27,30-27)
- Justin Lawrence def. John Cofer via knockout (head kick) at :19 of Round 3
FUEL TV Preliminaries:
- Daron Cruickshank def. Chris Tickle via unanimous decision (29-27,29-27,29-27)
- Myles Jury def. Chris Saunders via submission (guillotine choke) at 4:03 of Round 1
- Sam Sicilia def. Cristiano Marcello via TKO (strikes) at 2:53 of Round 2
- Joe Proctor def. Jeremy Larsen via TKO (knee and punches) at 1:59 of Round 1
Facebook Preliminaries (6:20 ET/PT):
- Erik Perez def. John Albert via technical submission (armbar) at 4:18 of Round 1*
*UFC President Dana White announced that John Albert would receive his win bonus after Referee Kim Winslow ended his bout without a tapout or break