UFC 146 took place Saturday night live from Las Vegas, Nevada. The first ever all heavyweight card did not disappoint for action. In the main event, heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos kept the fight upright to batter Frank Mir and retain his heavyweight crown.
In the co-main event of the evening, former champion Cain Velasquez destroyed Antonio Silva. In other action, Roy Nelson, Stipe Miocic, and Stefan Struve all notched victories on the card.
Dos Santos Stops Mir to Retain the Belt
Frank Mir knew he had to get this fight to the ground in order to defeat heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos and he looked to do so early in the fight. Unfortunately for Mir, Dos Santos showed excellent takedown defense and forced Mir to battle him standing. Mir tried to work his kickboxing but often unable to avoid the quick power strikes and counter from the champion.
In the second, Dos Santos countered a Mir body kick with a strong straight right that found its mark just below Mir’s cheekbone. That strike was the beginning of the end as Dos Santos swarmed and finished Mir.
Velasquez Bloodies “Bigfoot”
Cain Velasquez came into this fight looking to bounce back from his devastating knockout loss to Junior Dos Santos at UFC on Fox 1. Velasquez certainly did that, as he turned Antonio Silva’s face into a bloody mess in only one round. After a doctor allowed the fight to continue, Velasquez wasted no time in getting back to work. Silva tried to battle off his back but Velasquez somehow managed to find enough footing to finish pounding out Silva.
Nelson Crushes Herman
Dave Herman came into this fight on short notice looking to keep this fight with Roy Nelson at a distance. Nelson would not oblige however, and took just one huge overhand right to send Herman to the canvas in a heap. While it was Herman protested, he was clearly out.
Miocic Batters Del Rosario
After a very tough first round, Stipe Miocic decided it was time to take Shane Del Rosario to the mat. Miocic took Del Rosario to the mat with an outside single and worked vicious ground and pound. Del Rosario worked hard to try and escape but Miocic defended well and switched between hammerfists and elbows that cut Del Rosario in multiple places. Eventually, Miocic’s ground and pound proved too much for Del Rosario and referee Yves Lavigne dove in to stop the fight
Struve Armbars Johnson into Submission
Stefan Struve came into this fight with Lavar Johnson with one thing in mind, get it to the ground. After Johnson bullied Struve to the cage and landed a power shot to the Dutch fighter’s ribs and an uppercut, Struve decided enough was enough. Struve used an overhook to pull guard against the cage. Struve did not allow Johnson to ever posture up and bomb away as he quickly rotated and turned over for an armbar. Johnson’s arm snapped as he tapped out to the armbar.
Main Card ( Pay-Per-View)
- Junior Dos Santos (c) def. Frank Mir via TKO (strikes) at 3:04 of Round 2
- Cain Velasquez def. Antonio Silva via TKO (strikes) at 3:36 of Round 1
- Roy Nelson def. Dave Herman via KO (punch) at :51 of Round 1
- Stipe Miocic def. Shane Del Rosario via TKO (strikes) at 3:14 of Round 2
- Stefan Struve def. Lavar Johnson via submission (armbar) at 1:05 of Round 1
Preliminary Card (FX)
- Darren Elkins def. Diego Brandao via unanimous decision (29-28,29-28,29-28)
- Jamie Varner def. Edson Barboza via TKO (strikes) at 3:23 of Round 1
- CB Dollaway def. Jason Miller via unanimous decision (30-26,29-28,29-28)
- Dan Hardy def. Duane Ludwig via TKO (strikes) at 3:51 of Round 1
- Paul Sass def. Jacob Volkmann via submission (triangle armbar) at 1:54 of Round 1
- Glover Texeira def. Kyle Kingsbury via submission (arm-triangle) at 1:53 of Round 1
- Mike Brown def. Daniel Pineda via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Pictured: Junior Dos Santos via UFC Facebook