According to MMAWeekly, Karo Parisyan will now be facing a new opponent in the main event of the upcoming SHOFight 20 fight card.
Parisyan was slated to face The Ultimate Fighter 13 cast member Shamar Bailey at the event, but Bailey has suffered an injury and been forced to withdraw from the fight. Stepping up to face Parisyan in his place will be 33-year-old lightweight John Gunderson.
A veteran of the sport, Gunderson (33-13-2) was expected to face Sevak Magakian on the fight card in a lightweight tilt. He most recently appeared in action opposite Team Alpha Male product Justin Bucholz, rebounding from a unanimous decision loss in his previous effort with a third-round submission victory.
Parisyan (20-8, 1 NC) is also a seasoned competitor, having once been a top-ranked welterweight in the UFC. After battling injuries and personal demons that saw him cut from the UFC and lose three straight fights, Parisyan got back on the right track this past March with a unanimous decision win over Thomas Denny.
SHOFight 20, the promotion’s first fight card featuring professionals, will take place on June 16 at the O’Reilly Family Event Center in Springfield, Missouri. Check out the current lineup below:
- Terry Martin vs. Kendall Grove
- Jonatas Noveas vs. Drew Fickett
- Chris McDaniel vs. Charles ‘Krazy Horse’ Bennett
- Mike Wessell vs. Aaron Rosa
- Allen Gibson vs. Dustin Phillips
- Chris Gruetzmacher vs. Roli Delgado
- Lucas Overcast vs. Matt Lucas
- Josh McDonald vs. Karen Darabedyan
- Lyle Beerbohm vs. Marcus Aurelio
- Sam Alves vs. Shonie Carter
- Rabert Saborudden vs. Jacob Ritchie
- Chris Barnes vs. Jesse Zequin
- Jason Ignacek vs. Ara Meridian