MMAFrenzy’s coverage of UFC 145 continues live from stormy Atlanta, GA. Our coverage will continue all night leading up to the light heavyweight title bout between the champion Jon Jones and Rashad Evans.
In preliminary action, Travis Browne, Matt Brown, Anthony Njokuani, Mac Danzig, Chris Clements, and Marcus Brimage all earned victories.
Browne Buries “The Grave Digger” Griggs
Travis Browne fought like a fighter half his size tonight by crushing Strikeforce product Chad Griggs. Browne unloaded on Griggs with a flurry of knees that sent Griggs reeling. Browne then secured the takedown and exposed Griggs lack of a ground experience and easily secured the fight ending arm triangle.
Matt Brown Derails Prospect Stephen Thompson
Matt Brown was rocked multiple times by Stephen Thompson but in the end Brown outlasted “Wonderboy” by exposing his lack of takedown defense. Thompson struggled all night with Brown’s ground skills.
While Thompson had his moments, as soon as Brown wanted the takedown he got it. The third round ended in brutal fashion as Brown rained down strikes with Thompson trapped in a mounted inverse triangle.
Danzig Overcomes Ankle Injury to Defeat Escudero
Mac Danzig had to overcome a brutal heel hook that did clear damage to his ankle en route to his victory over Efrain Escudero. While Danzig’s ankle kept growing, he never let it show until after the fight as he used superior technique to secure a victory over the fellow TUF winner.
Full Prelim Results:
- Travis Browne def. Chad Griggs via submission (arm-triangle) at 2:29 of Round 1
- Matt Brown def. Stephen Thompson via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-27, 30-27)
- Anthony Njokuani def. John Makdessi via unanimous decision (30-27,30-27,30-27)
- Mac Danzig def. Efrain Escudero via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Chris Clements def. Keith Wisniewski via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 30-27)
- Marcus Brimage def. Maximo Blanco via split decision (28-29,30-27, 29-28)