The UFC came to Sweden for the first time in organization history with UFC on Fuel TV 2, and the Swedish fans went home happy as native Alexander Gustafsson was named the victor in the main event with a unanimous decision win over Thiago Silva. Fellow main card fighters Brian Stann, Siyar Bahadurzada, and Brad Pickett also impressed at the Ericsson Globe Arena from Stockholm, Sweden.
Alexander Gustafsson defeats Thiago Silva via unanimous decision
Gustafsson was impressive, specifically with his movement. Using his length and footwork, Gustafsson was able to move around the entire cage and kept Silva away from him the entire fight. Fighting in his home country, the Swede came out quickly, knocking the Brazilian down within the first 30 seconds. From there, “The Mauler” looked calm and composed the remaining fourteen minutes. Silva clipped Gustafsson in the second round, but Gustafsson was able to recover. After that, it was a return to normal, as he continued to pepper Silva with a litany of punches and kicks.
Brian Stann defeats Alessio Sakara via knockout, Round 1 2:26
Stann and Sakara immediately went after each other, with Stann getting the better of it. Sakara tried to keep up with Stann’s pace, but was unable to. From there, Stann got “Legionarius” to the ground, and stifled him with a strong left punch, knocking Sakara out. Stann punched him again, and Sakara seemed to wake up. Stann immediately stopped, urging referee Marc Goddard to stop the fight, and the referee obliged.
Siyar Bahadurzada defeats Paulo Thiago via knockout, Round 1 0:42
It took longer to his name than it did for Bahadurzada to knockout Thiago. As Thiago came rushing in, Bahadurzada countered him with a right hand that immediately sent Thiago to the mat face-first. “Siyar the killer” could not have lived up to his name more, as he stood over the unconscious Thiago, jubilant after he earned a win in his UFC debut.
The remaining main and preliminary card results are as follows:
- Dennis Siver defeats Diego Nunes via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- John Maguire defeats DaMarques Johnson via submission (armbar) Round 2, 4:40
- Brad Pickett defeats Damacio Page via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 2, 4:05
- James Head defeats Papy Abedi via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 1, 4:33
- Cyrille Diabaté defeats Tom DeBlass via majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-28)
- Francis Carmont defeats Magnus Cedenblad via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 2, 1:42
- Reza Madadi defeats Yoislandy Izquierdo via submission (guillotine choke) Round 2, 1:28
- Simeon Thoresen defeats Besam Yousef via submission (rear-naked choke) Round 2, 2:36
- Jason Young defeats Eric Wisely via unanimous decision (30-28, 29-28, 29-28)
For complete coverage of UFC on Fuel TV 2, stay tuned to MMAFrenzy.com