Bellator 61 took place tonight in Bossier City, LA. The event featured the start of the middleweight tournament with Brian Rogers delivering the highlight of the evening with a nasty flying knee knockout of Vitor Vianna.
UFC veteran Maiquel Falcao, Vyacheslav Vasilevsky, and Bruno Santos also advanced with wins tonight.
Hot prospect Vyacheslav Vasilevsky notched his fifteenth straight win Friday night. The two-time world SAMBO champion, recovered from a slow start to batter his opponent, Victor O’Donnell, for the last two rounds. The twenty-three year old fighter was making his US and middleweight debuts.
Main Card (MTV2 and EPIX HD)
- Middleweight Quarterfinal: Maiquel Falcao def. Norman Paraisy via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Middleweight Quarterfinal: Vyacheslav Vasilevsky def. Victor O’Donnell via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28
- Middleweight Quarterfinal: Bruno Santos def. Giva Santana via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Middleweight Quarterfinal: Brian Rogers def. Vitor Vianna via knockout (flying knee) 4:14 of Round 1
Local Card (Spike.com)
- Josh Quayhagen def. Brent Taylor via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) *
- Derrick Krantz def. Eric Scallan via technical submission (brabo choke) 3:01 of Round 1
- Jason Sampson def. Jeremy Myers via submission (rear-naked choke) 2:25 of Round 3
- Trey Houston def. Jeremiah Riggs via submission (armbar) 3:30 of Round 1
*took place after the main event
Pictured: Maiquel Falcao courtesy of Bellator