Bellator 60 took place last night in Hammond, IN and the featherweights did not disappoint. In the main event, rising star Pat Curran took control of his title fight with Joe Warren to win the Bellator featherweight title.
In the featherweight tournament, Daniel Straus, Mike Corey, Marlon Sandro, and Alexandre Bezerra all advanced.
Curran demolishes Warren to win belt, the Pitbull awaits
Before their fight Friday night two things were clear, one Warren held the clear wrestling advantage and two, Warren would take a lot damage. Both came true as Warren’s wrestling was impressive while his striking was not at all. Part of that is due to Warren trying to make the Olympic wrestling team, and thus spending most of his time there. Olympic training also explains why Warren appeared much smaller since he competes at a much lower weight class.
Warren survived danger in both the first and second rounds before being knocked out in the third. Unfortunately, the bout should serve an example of why a fighter should not have to fall down to be considered knocked out, Warren was crushed by Curran and used the cage to remain standing with out actually mounting any real defense. While Warren did eventually go down, the beating he took arguably should have been halted earlier by the referee. Warren remained down for several minutes after the bout and had to be carried out of the cage when he finally came to. Curran will now face Warren’s original opponent, Patricio Freire, though a timetable for the bout has yet to be set.
Main Card (MTV2)
- Featherweight Championship bout: Pat Curran def. Joe Warren via KO (strikes) at 1:25 of Round 3
- Featherweight Quarterfinal bout: Daniel Straus def. Jeremy Spoon via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- Featherweight Quarterfinal bout: Mike Corey def. Ronnie Mann via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Featherweight Quarterfinal bout: Marlon Sandro def. Roberto Vargas via submission (rear naked choke) at 3:35 of Round 1
Local Feature Fights (Spike.com)
- Featherweight Quarterfinal bout: Alexandre Bezerra def. Kenny Foster via submission (rear naked choke) at 4:57 of Round 2
- Bantamweight bout: Jake Nauracy def. Cory Galloway via submission (rear naked choke) at 4:22 of Round 2
- Catchweight (215 lbs) bout: Travis Wiuff def. Anthony Gomez via unanimous decision (29-28,29-28,29-28)
- Catchweight (280 lbs) bout: Sean McCorkle def. Richard White via submission (neck crank) at 1:02 of Round 1
- Catchweight (165 lbs) bout: Josh Shockley def. Shamar Bailey via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Featherweight bout: Genair da Silva def. Bobby Reardanz via TKO (strikes) at 0:51 of Round 3