Carlos Condit outpointed Nick Diaz to win the interim UFC welterweight title and earn a shot at champion Georges St-Pierre with a unanimous decision victory in the main event of UFC 143 on Saturday night in Las Vegas.
Condit stuck to his game plan throughout the five-round fight, as he frequently tagged Diaz with well-timed punches and kicks while constantly circling away to avoid Diaz’s patented combinations. Diaz threatened to finish Condit in the final minute as he took his back, controlled him with a body triangle, and tried for both a choke and armlock, but ran out of time before the final bell sounded.
The judges then awarded Condit the unanimous decision win by 48-47, 49-46, and 49-46 scores.
Condit, now 28-5 with five-straight wins, applauded Diaz’s efforts and said it will be an honor to challenge St-Pierre in a fight that is expected to take place around November, though whether Condit fights in the meantime remains undecided, while Diaz’s first loss in more than four years seemed to baffle the 28-year-old, as he said he may call it quits after believing he did enough to win the fight.
Heavyweight Fabricio Werdum successfully returned to the Octagon in UFC 143′s co-main event as he earned a unanimous decision over The Ultimate Fighter 10 winner Roy Nelson. Also on the pay-per-view main card, Josh Koscheck edged Mike Pierce in a split decision, bantamweight contender Renan Barao earned a unanimous decision over Scott Jorgensen, and Ed Herman continued his momentum with a second-round submission of Clifford Starks.
Rising featherweight Dustin Poirier capped off UFC 143′s preliminary card with a first-round armbar and triangle choke combination from mount over newcomer Max Holloway, while Edwin Figueora, Matt Brown, Matt Riddle, Rafael Natal, and Stephen Thompson were also victorious earlier on the card.
The complete UFC 143 results were:
- Carlos Condit def. Nick Diaz via unanimous decision (48-47, 49-46, 49-46)
Interim UFC Welterweight Championship
- Fabricio Werdum def. Roy Nelson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Josh Koscheck def. Mike Pierce via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Renan Barao def. Scott Jorgensen via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Ed Herman def. Clifford Starks via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 2, 1:43
- Dustin Poirier def. Max Holloway via submission (mounted armbar/triangle) – Round 1, 3:23
- Edwin Figueroa def. Alex Caceres via split decision (28-27, 27-28, 28-27)
- Matt Brown def. Chris Cope via KO (punches) – Round 2, 1:19
- Matt Riddle def. Henry Martinez via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Rafael Natal def. Michael Kuiper via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Stephen Thompson def. Dan Stittgen via KO (kick) – Round 1, 4:13
More UFC 143 coverage: