Rising featherweight Dustin Poirier pushed his win streak to five-straight as he forced newcomer Max Holloway to submit to a mounted armbar/triangle choke combo to cap off Saturday’s UFC 143 preliminary card in Las Vegas.
Earlier on the UFC 143 prelims, Edwin Figueroa claimed a split decision over “Bruce Leroy” Alex Caceres in an exciting fight marred by a two-point deduction to Caceres for low blows, while welterweight fan-favorite Matt Brown blasted Chris Cope for a second-round knockout.
UFC 143 got underway with welterweight prospect Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson knocking out fellow newcomer Dan Stittgen in the opening round before Rafael Natal outpointed Michael Kuiper and Matt Riddle edges Henry Martinez for decision wins.
The complete UFC 143 preliminary card results were:
- Dustin Poirier def. Max Holloway via submission (mounted armbar/triangle) – Round 1, 3:23
- Edwin Figueroa def. Alex Caceres via split decision (28-27, 27-28, 28-27)
- Matt Brown def. Chris Cope via KO (punches) – Round 2, 1:19
- Matt Riddle def. Henry Martinez via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Rafael Natal def. Michael Kuiper via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Stephen Thompson def. Dan Stittgen via KO (kick) – Round 1, 4:13
Pictured: Dustin Poirier