UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo knocked out previously unbeaten challenger Chad Mendes with just one second remaining in the opening round to retain his title in the main event of UFC 142 on Saturday night in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Mendes unsurprisingly tried to take Aldo down early and often, but found no success as Aldo managed to remain on his feet and countered with his trademark leg kicks. With the round winding down, Aldo stunned Mendes with a knee and followed it up with punches on the ground to earn the win.
Aldo immediately sprinted into the crowd to celebrate the win in his home country and was returned to the Octagon on the shoulders of fans. Aldo improves to 21-1 with the win and solidified his status as one of the top pound-for-pound fighters, while Mendes falls to 11-1 with his first career loss.
Three other fights on the UFC 142 main card also ended in the opening round, as Vitor Belfort choked out Anthony Johnson, Rousimar Palhares submitted Mike Massenzio, and Erick Silva was disqualified against Carlos Prater, while Edson Barboza knocked out Terry Etim with a spinning head kick in the third round.
The complete UFC 142 results were:
- Jose Aldo (c) def. Chad Mendes via KO (knee and punches) – Round 1, 4:59
UFC Featherweight Championship
- Vitor Belfort def. Anthony Johnson via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 4:49
- Rousimar Palhares def. Maike Massenzio via submission (heel hook) – Round 1, 1:03
- Carlo Prater def. Erick Silva via DQ (strike to back of head) – Round 1, 0:29
- Edson Barboza def. Terry Etim via KO (spinning wheel kick) – Round 3, 2:32
- Thiago Tavares def. Sam Stout via unanimous decision
- Gabriel Gonzaga def. Edinaldo Oliveira via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 3:22
- Yuri Alcantara def. Michihiro Omigawa via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Mike Pyle def. Ricardo Funch via TKO (strikes) – Round 1. 1:22
- Felipe Arantes def. Antonio Carvalho via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)