UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones capped off an undefeated 2011 with a second-round technical submission of former title-holder Lyoto Machida in the main event of UFC 140 on Saturday night in Toronto.
Jones was tested in the opening round as Machida countered his leg kicks with punches that found their target on several occasions. Jones returned to form in the second as he opened a cut on Machida’s forehead that had to be checked by the doctor then hurt Machida with a left after the restart before grabbing a standing guillotine that left Machida unconscious and forced referee “Big” John McCarthy to stop the fight.
Jones improves to 15-1 with his fourth win of the year after previously stopping Ryan Bader, “Shogun” Rua and “Rampage” Jackson, while Machida falls to 17-3 with his third loss in four fights.
In the UFC 140 co-main event, Frank Mir was knocked down in the opening round by Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, but survived to break Nogueira’s arm with a fight-ending Kimura. Mir, who stopped Nogueira for the first time in their 2008 meeting and is now the first to submit the Brazilian legend, has won three-straight to improves to 16-5, while Nogueira falls to 33-7-1.
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira found better luck is his featured showdown with Tito Ortiz, as he avoided Ortiz’s early shots to finish the former light heavyweight champion with repeated punches to the ribs in the opening round. Nogueira improves to 20-5 as he snapped a two-fight losing skid, while Ortiz wants one more fight before retiring after losing five of his last six fights.
The UFC 140 main card also saw Brian Ebersole score a split decision over fellow welterweight Claude Patrick, while “The Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung stopped Mark Hominick with punches in just 7-seconds to tie the record for fastest knockout in UFC history.
The UFC 140 preliminary card included stoppage wins by Igor Pokrajac, Costa Philippou, Dennis Hallman, Jake Hecht, and John Cholish, while Yves Jabouin and Mark Bocek notched decision victories.
The complete UFC 140 results were:
- Jon Jones (c) def. Lyoto Machida via technical submission (standing guillotine) – Round 2, 4:26
UFC Light Heavyweight Championship
- Frank Mir def. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira via submission (kimura) – Round 1, 3:38
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira def. Tito Ortiz via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:15
- Brian Ebersole def. Claude Patrick via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Chan Sung Jung def. Mark Hominick via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:07
- Igor Pokrajac def. Krzysztof Soszynski via KO (punches) – Round 1, 0:35
- Consta Philippou def. Jared Hamman via KO (punches) – Round 1, 3:11
- Dennis Hallman def. John Makdessi via submission (rear naked choke) – Round 1, 2:58
- Yves Jabouin def. Walel Watson via split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28)
- Mark Bocek def. Nik Lentz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27 ,30-27)
- Jake Hecht def. Rich Attonito via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 1:10
- John Cholish def. Mitch Clarke via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 4:36
Pictured: Jon Jones