twitter google

Nick Diaz Nearly No Shows, Talks UFC 137 Main Event with BJ Penn

Nick DiazOne day after moving back into the UFC 137 main event against BJ Penn following an injury to welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, Nick Diaz nearly no showed another media event on Wednesday, the same reason he was pulled from the headliner against St-Pierre in September.

This time, however, it may have been the UFC’s fault that Diaz joined the press conference call nearly 45 minutes late.

“I’m hearing UFC dropped the ball on the Nick Diaz no show today!! SUCKS,” UFC President Dana White wrote on Twitter.

“Nobody called me in the last week, or couple of days or anything, and said there was a call,” Diaz explained. After training last night, Diaz went to sleep then “woke up, my phone was dead, and then my brother’s telling me I’m supposed to be on a call. I didn’t know anything about it.”

While the UFC may not appreciate Diaz missing his media obligations, they don’t worry Penn because the former Strikeforce champion always shows up to fight.

“Nick is Nick,” Penn said. “That’s just what he does. I enjoy watching the stuff Nick Diaz does. He doesn’t change; He’s always himself. He always shows up to the fight so I don’t think we have to worry about that.”

Despite some regrets over being pulled from his fight with St-Pierre, Diaz said he remains focused on training to fight who he considers a better technical opponent in Penn.

“I’m not sitting here waiting for a call,” Diaz said. “I’m waiting for training. I’m training hard. I train harder than these guys and fight harder than these guys and that’s why. That’s what takes up all my time, training to become the best in the world.”

For UFC 137 results and complete UFC 137 coverage stay tuned to

Follow MMAFrenzy